1.5x Scaling?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Raptor10439

Post by Raptor10439 »

KuroShiro wrote:And I was never trying to tell anyone how to use their computer. I was serious about getting a better monitor though. If your max resolution is 1440x900, there are monitors available for a bit more than $100 that can improve that.
I would but I'm on a laptop so that's not an easy or affordable option.
KuroShiro wrote:Unfortunately I doubt it's really that simple. The thing is this: most older games were not able to switch resolutions so easily -- they were designed and always displayed at a particular resolution. Usually 320x240 or 640x480 (or less in some cases).
In that case, how would it be possible to have the 2x and 3x scalers if they can only be ran in those resolutions? Emulators for consoles can almost always be resized freely and obviously those games we designed to work on 1 resolution.

If I had the know-how, I would gladly work on this but my basic Java knowledge doesn't look like it'll transfer over to a project like this. Hopefully, someone will at some point. I guess until them, I'm off to looking into acquiring the Xbox port.

Also, quick question. Is it possible to implement the RAM expansion packs on the DS to allow for more support of other ScummVM titles? I've seen other homebrew implement so it can't be entirely impossible.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

You should probably read the posts below mine for more detailed and accurate info.
Also, quick question. Is it possible to implement the RAM expansion packs on the DS to allow for more support of other ScummVM titles? I've seen other homebrew implement so it can't be entirely impossible.
This at least I can answer correctly! Yes, if your DS supports a RAM expansion pack (I.E. not a DSi) then there is a build of ScummVMDS which uses it and can play The Dig and Full Throttle, which require more memory. None of the other builds require it. Check the DS forums.
Raptor10439

Post by Raptor10439 »

Oh really? I do hope I can play Curse of Monkey Island then! I'll look into it!

[edit]Oh god, I don't even. Doesn't seem to work. I can get to the screen where I can select if I want the normal Curse of Monkey Island or the one with more puzzles. I can select what I want but if I press Start my DS makes a TERRIBLE buzzing sound.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Well. I figured out how to get KDE 4.x to arbitrary scale the ScummVM window. It's quite a half-assed solution but it works ;)

- Enable the KDE desktop effect called Zoom. (It's in the Accessibility section)
- Start a ScummVM game, I recommend disabling aspect ratio correction for widescreens and going for the TV2X scaler.
- Use the Zoom effect controls (default is WinButton+0, WinButton+- and WinButton+=) to zoom in on the ScummVM window as tight as you like.
-In ScummVM hit ctrl+m to trap the mouse, preventing Zoom from following your mouse.

Now you can play ScummVM games at any scale without messing with your monitor resolution.
Raptor10439

Post by Raptor10439 »

I kind of wondered if there was a similar solution as what you found with KDE. Windows has the option to zoom at what your mouse is pointing at but only at the top of your screen which doesn't help here. Maybe a 3rd party app?