Original Menus

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joelphilippage

Original Menus

Post by joelphilippage »

Hello. I just downloaded the new version of ScummVM which says that you can see the original menus if you press Alt+F4 I tried this and it didn't work. Does anyone know why?
Thanks.
[Edit]I just tried it out with Maniac Mansion and it works but with all the other games I've tried it won't.
clem

Post by clem »

README wrote: Alt-F5

Displays the original save/load box, if the
game has one.
You can save and load games using
using this, however it is not intended for this
purpose, and may even crash ScummVM in some
games.
It's Alt-F5, not Alt-F4.
Probably the other games don't support that?
pykman

Post by pykman »

Can someone tell me in which Lucasarts games the original game menu is present.

In my case it will be Maniac Mansion (from Day of Tentacle Game), and The Curse of Monkey Island and only when in fullscreen mode.

No other game have original menu. Does anyone have original menu in other games exept ones I've mentioned?

I have the latest SVN Scummvm version and running it on Ubuntu 9.10 Linux.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

pykman wrote:Can someone tell me in which Lucasarts games the original game menu is present.

In my case it will be Maniac Mansion (from Day of Tentacle Game), and The Curse of Monkey Island and only when in fullscreen mode.
Fullscreen mode shouldn't make any difference. Unless the window manager intercepts that particular key combination for something else I guess. (I vaguely remember disabling some things in KDE for that reason.)

The games I can recall, other than those two, are Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, the EGA version of Loom, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. There may be others. At least in Maniac Mansion the save/load screen is different in the original and enhanced versions.

I found screenshots on MobyGames from Maniac Mansion, Zak and Indiana Jones. From what I remember, the one in Loom looks extremely plain by comparision.
pykman

Post by pykman »

Yes, the problem with Alt-F5 and fullscreen in my case is probably due to ubuntu gnome desktop, I didn't check it yet.

The games you mentioned eriktorbjorn + Maniac and COMI are only "worth" to show original menu. The most of Lusasarts games (or at least they PC CD versions) have very plain, simple and identical menus. So I'm glad that MM, Zak, Indi3, Loom and COMI have them. Especialy COMI with it 3D acceleration joke ;P