playing exe files?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jac5287

playing exe files?

Post by jac5287 »

I've obtained a whole lot of old DOS games, but can't figure out how to get Scumm to play them. I try and add the game but it can never 'find' any game in the specified directory. They're EXE files and then other various files...everything I click on doesn't work though.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

How exactly did you obtain these games and what spesific games are we talkng about here?
jac5287

Post by jac5287 »

A bunch, but let's go with Day of the Tentacle, since that's what I'm specifically trying to play right now :) I've already gotten Sam and Max to work, but am not sure how..The thing is, the games work on Boxer but I don't like Boxer.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Well, first of all, I would like to know where you got the games from. Are they cd or floppy versions?
jac5287

Post by jac5287 »

Oops, sorry I read your first reply too fast, CD's.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

What games specifically are cd versions? And you still haven't answered my question as to where you obtained all these games.
jac5287

Post by jac5287 »

My boyfriend's best friend's family's yard sale. I wasn't aware that information was that incredibly crucial to answer my technical question of getting games to work. ????

Anyone?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Well, if you look at it from my standpoint, having a bunch of games in folders that you've obtained all at once sounds a bit like pirated games. And the reason this project has survived for so long is that it absoloutly cannot and will not give support to pirates. That is the reason why it is crucial that I have this information.

So, for all fairness sake, let us say that your story about a hard sale is true. In which case all the information you need is in ScummVM's readme file. Put simply, you do not need the exe files. Go to scummvm's main web page, press the documentation link and then the game data files listings link. It will show you a list of what spesific files you will need to copy of your original cd to a folder for scummvm to work. When you try to add a game to scummvm, you will never actually see any files, you simply select the folder then press 'choose'.

So, good luck and I hope you support the project by continuing to use original software.
jac5287

Post by jac5287 »

Thank you for giving the reply and being fair because the games are NOT pirated. I was so excited when I found them at the yard sale, but since I have a new Mac, I wasn't expecting to buy them until my boyfriend told me they have programs like Boxer and Scumm that I can play them on.

I've been to that ScummWiki website where it says what files I need. I have all those files in a separate folder, it still can't find the game.

Oh well, thank you anyway and sorry for the misunderstanding.
jac5287

Post by jac5287 »

I got it to work! I redid my DOTT folder, and just saved it directly to my desktop. Before, it was in a folder, which was in a folder, which was in a folder, etc. So maybe that had something to do with it? I don't know, I don't really know that much about the inner workings of computers, hence coming here.

Thanks.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Np, and sorry for not being clear on this in the first place.

If scummvm can not detect your game you either have an outdated version of scummvm, have missed some game data files that are required to play the game or have corrupted data files(most commonly caused by scratched discs). Try recopying the data to the folder, making sure you have all the files in one folder and no subfolders. All pc versions of DOTT should be supported.

Edit: I see you made it work. Having subfolders is usually a bad idea, at least having more than one. Try to keep all files in the same folder for future referance.
jac5287

Post by jac5287 »

Yep, that must've been my problem. Thanks again :)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Just to clear things up, don't put all the files from all your games into the same folder. That would be disastrous. Just have separate folders for each game.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Longcat wrote:When you try to add a game to scummvm, you will never actually see any files, you simply select the folder then press 'choose'.
Actually since 1.1.0 we do show files.

Eugene
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I'm sorry sev, I've been working so much lately I haven't had time to update:)