About KQVI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

md5 wrote:The Windows version of KQ6 is actually doubling all game graphics with a simple 2x scaler
200 x 2 = 440?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

That was confusing me as well...
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

4 bit float rounding error?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The actual resolution that is used by KQ6 hires is 640x440, yes. It's still a simple 2x scaler, even if it does aspect ratio correction as well
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

md5 wrote:The actual resolution that is used by KQ6 hires is 640x440, yes. It's still a simple 2x scaler, even if it does aspect ratio correction as well
No, the engine is performing the 200->440 scale on the fly at the same time as correction, therefore it's not a simple 2x scaler.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I beg to differ, it's simple in the sense that it doesn't do any post-processing, like SuperSai2x or Mame2x or HQ2x, which is why I said it's a simple 2x scaler in the first place
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

But if it scales from 200 to 440 lines, it is not a 2x scaler at all. Neither a simple one, nor a complicated one.
Rather, it is a 2.2x scaler. And it obviously has to do something more complicated than using every line a fixed number of times; e.g. use ever line from the original data twice, but use every 5th line three times. Or something like that.

Also, I am not sure what you mean when with "post-processing" in SuperSai2x, AdvMame2x and HQ2x... ?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

fingolfin: Yes, it's a 2.2x scaler, and it does what you said.

Well, I should have phrased this better: the 2x scaling doesn't do additional computations based on the neighbouring pixels like hq2x does (which I named postprocessing, as it's done after the initial scaling phase). It scales the resulting pixels by 2, and it does a slight aspect ratio change in the process, too
Scarlatti

Post by Scarlatti »

md5 wrote:The 2x scaling doesn't do additional computations based on the neighbouring pixels like hq2x does (which I named postprocessing, as it's done after the initial scaling phase). It scales the resulting pixels by 2, and it does a slight aspect ratio change in the process, too
All of which, as I understand it, can't be performed by HQ2x and other filters because they multiply/polarize the pixels by a fixed number?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Scarlatti wrote:
md5 wrote:The 2x scaling doesn't do additional computations based on the neighbouring pixels like hq2x does (which I named postprocessing, as it's done after the initial scaling phase). It scales the resulting pixels by 2, and it does a slight aspect ratio change in the process, too
All of which, as I understand it, can't be performed by HQ2x and other filters because they multiply/polarize the pixels by a fixed number?
The issue is that this upscaling is done per pixel, which means that adding more sophisticated scalers for these games is a pain. Some code rewrite will have to be done, plus there's still the issue where the scalers themselves might not be compiled to save space