Broken Sword 2.5

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MeddlingMonk

Broken Sword 2.5

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I noticed the other day browsing SVN that support for Broken Sword 2.5 is being introduced. And from the BS 2.5 site that English voices are maybe just days away from being released. Altogether, pretty damn cool.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword 2.5

Post by dreammaster »

MeddlingMonk wrote:I noticed the other day browsing SVN that support for Broken Sword 2.5 is being introduced. And from the BS 2.5 site that English voices are maybe just days away from being released. Altogether, pretty damn cool.
I agree, definitely pretty cool adding new engines into the project. :D Just in case people have gotten high expectations for game engines from the recent addition of Toonstruck, the current Sword25 engine still needs some work fixing memory overruns and leaks before it will be in a seriously playable state. So keep that it mind, and no bug reports yet, please, everyone.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Great news.
I played it when it came out. I seem to recall it had a Windows only release but this will bring it to more platforms.

edit
Looking through my hard drive I found that I still had the game. After turning on the engine I compiled. At the end of 'make' I had an error. Recalling from memory it was the libsword25.a file and the os_name (?) and it might be dangerous to run.
I just want to say I did read your post Dreamaster about no bug reports. Regarding the error I put it in this post as the information might be of use.
I'll turn the engine off for now and recompile.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

dreammaster wrote:the current Sword25 engine still needs some work
Probably why the video is so choppy in Windows and it simply crashes in Fedora when launched. :wink: But you're right to point that out. Me just referring to SVN probably wasn't clear enough that this isn't ready for prime time.

And, yeah, Red_Breast, the game you download from the BS 2.5 website is Windows only. I'm not sure if the game data can be extracted without the installer.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MeddlingMonk wrote: Probably why the video is so choppy in Windows and it simply crashes in Fedora when launched. :wink: But you're right to point that out. Me just referring to SVN probably wasn't clear enough that this isn't ready for prime time.
The main cause of the choppiness is probably that the game appears to be calling a function every time it wants a new frame, but for some reason the function has to be called several times before it actually decodes a new frame. (It also seems to never reach the end of the logo cutscene when starting a new game.) I don't know how that part of the code works, or how it's supposed to work, so I'm just hoping someone else will be able to figure it out.

I don't why it crashes for you, though. Unless you have the ancient and out-dated version of ScummVM from, oh, yesterday which had an infinite recursion which caused the engine to hang and run out of memory on startup. :)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
MeddlingMonk wrote: Probably why the video is so choppy in Windows and it simply crashes in Fedora when launched. :wink: But you're right to point that out. Me just referring to SVN probably wasn't clear enough that this isn't ready for prime time.
I don't why it crashes for you, though. Unless you have the ancient and out-dated version of ScummVM from, oh, yesterday which had an infinite recursion which caused the engine to hang and run out of memory on startup. :)
This still happens for me in version 53531 using Ubuntu. I guess it's a Linux issue.

During compiling the sword25 files it says:
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lapi.o
cc1: warning: command line option "-Wno-reorder" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C
cc1: warning: command line option "-Wnon-virtual-dtor" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C
cc1: warning: command line option "-fno-rtti" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C
cc1: warning: command line option "-fcheck-new" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C
engines/sword25/util/lua/lapi.c: In function ‘index2adr’:
engines/sword25/util/lua/lapi.c:53: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
engines/sword25/util/lua/lapi.c:73: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lauxlib.o
cc1: warning: command line option "-Wno-reorder" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C
cc1: warning: command line option "-Wnon-virtual-dtor" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C
cc1: warning: command line option "-fno-rtti" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C
cc1: warning: command line option "-fcheck-new" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not for C
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lbaselib.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lcode.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/ldblib.o
engines/sword25/util/lua/ldblib.c: In function ‘hookf’:
engines/sword25/util/lua/ldblib.c:209: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
engines/sword25/util/lua/ldblib.c: In function ‘gethooktable’:
engines/sword25/util/lua/ldblib.c:245: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
engines/sword25/util/lua/ldblib.c:250: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/ldebug.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/ldo.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/ldump.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lfunc.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lgc.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/linit.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/liolib.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/llex.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lmathlib.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lmem.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/loadlib.o
engines/sword25/util/lua/loadlib.c: In function ‘ll_require’:
engines/sword25/util/lua/loadlib.c:458: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
engines/sword25/util/lua/loadlib.c:481: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
engines/sword25/util/lua/loadlib.c:488: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lobject.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lopcodes.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/loslib.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lparser.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lstate.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lstring.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lstrlib.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.o
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c: In function ‘setnodevector’:
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c:275: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c: In function ‘luaH_new’:
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c:367: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c: In function ‘luaH_set’:
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c:498: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c: In function ‘luaH_setnum’:
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c:511: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c: In function ‘luaH_setstr’:
engines/sword25/util/lua/ltable.c:523: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/ltablib.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/ltm.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lundump.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lvm.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/lzio.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/lua/print.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/pluto/pdep.o
C++ engines/sword25/util/pluto/pluto.o
engines/sword25/util/pluto/pluto.c:1474: warning: ‘inreftable’ defined but not used
C++ engines/sword25/util/pluto/plzio.o
It is only the complete lua and pluto (util) folders which have an issue. This may or may not help you though.

Most of the sword25 files compile without issue.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Graxer wrote:This still happens for me in version 53531 using Ubuntu. I guess it's a Linux issue.
The recursion fix was revision 53512, so I guess it didn't fix your problem. But it shouldn't be a Linux issue, since I'm running Debian. I believe the long list of warnings is mostly because Lua is written in C, yet it's getting compiler options intended for C++ compilation. It will probably just ignore them.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

The terminal says this before closing ScummVM, but I'm not sure that it explains the reasons for closing:
User picked target 'sword25' (gameid 'sword25')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... The Broken Sword 2.5 Engine
Starting 'Broken Sword 2.5'
WARNING: STUB: SoundEngine::init(44100, 32)!
WARNING: STUB: SoundEngine::setVolume(0.500000, 0)!
WARNING: STUB: SoundEngine::setVolume(1.000000, 2)!
WARNING: STUB: SoundEngine::setVolume(1.000000, 1)!
WARNING: STUB: SetVsync(1)!
WARNING: STUB: SetVsync(1)!
Do I have the same problem as you MeddlingMonk?
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Will BS2.5 be added/classed as an 'official' game - up there with Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle etc. - or will it be added to another list? I take it fan made games have their own seperate lists or something?

Just wondering...

EDIT: On a seperate note, I noticed that SCI 2-2.1 is being worked on according to the Wiki. I'm really happy about this. :D To think, very soon, Gabriel Knight will be supported! I can't wait!

Keep up the fantastic work guys!! :wink:
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

MeddlingMonk wrote: And, yeah, Red_Breast, the game you download from the BS 2.5 website is Windows only. I'm not sure if the game data can be extracted without the installer.
I have a folder with artwork to make a DVD cover and label and 2 files:
bs25-setup.exe (375.4 KB)
bs25-setup-1.bin (626.5 MB)
I think all this came in a zip originally.

Under Wine I ran the .exe which installed the game with these 8 files:
bsengine.exe
data.b25c
dbghelp.dll
fmodex.dll
license.txt
packages.lua
unins000.dat
unins000.exe

The data.b25c file is 624 MB. The other 7 total 3 MB.

I think I'll wait for the new BS 2.5 release first before trying to build again.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Graxer wrote:Do I have the same problem as you MeddlingMonk?
Not sure yet. It's been a few days since I last built ScummVM in Fedora. It'll be a little while until I can make a fresh build and then we'll see what I get then.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

OK. Fresh build and I am getting the same output as Graxer. So I reran ScummVM to get debugging info. I'd prefer to be able to put this in a bug report but as that's not an option yet, and the output is actually too long for one post, I'll only just note that in addition to what Graxer had asked me to confirm, the only other problems that I can spot in the debug output are lines reading:

LUA: ERROR - An error occured while executing "@/system/boot.lua":
LUA: ERROR - /system/boot.lua:110: attempt to index global 'Movieplayer' (a nil value)
LUA: ERROR -
LUA: ERROR - stack traceback:
LUA: ERROR - /system/boot.lua:110: in main chunk.

which maybe has come connection to the build errors involving lua that Graxer has already noted. Unless it doesn't.

And this just in, I get the exact same behavior and errors in OS 10.5.8 (PPC). So definitely not just a Linux problem (Debian apparently excepted).
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Ok, it may just be cooincidental, or I may have found the problem.

I just updated to the newest version of ScummVM in the subversion tree and while I was running ./configure I noticed that a new codec called libtheoradec was now said to not be present. I went into the Ubuntu Synaptic Package Manager and installed "libtheora-dev" and ran ./configure again. Having now compiled it I appear to have Broken Sword 2.5 running fine.
Last edited by Graxer on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Not only that. Just the possibility to run without the MoviePlayer which uses libtheora was broken. Now it is fixed. Of course, without Theora cutscenes will be skipped.

Eugene
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Good catch, Graxer. It never even occurred to me to suspect a new library was required for BS 2.5. And, lo and behold, that's just what I was missing in both Fedora and OSX.

OK. I've hit something odd with OSX. When I ran 'make' it aborted with this:

/sw/include/theora/theora.h:182: error: comma at end of enumerator list
make: *** [engines/sword25/fmv/theora_decoder.o] Error 1

I looked at theora.h and really don't see a problem. I'm not an expert, obviously, but I compared it to the theora.h file on my Fedora computer and they're exactly the same at the 'problem' location, yet it compiled just fine under Fedora. So I'm a little puzzled by the error.