Future plans

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nathanel.mori

Future plans

Post by nathanel.mori »

Hi.

Congratulations to all of you behind SCUMMVM for your latest fantastic release, supporting SCI games. I was more than incredibly happy when I heard the news and downloaded my copy.

However, I'm dying to know what's coming next. Is there an estimated release date for a version supporting SCI 2 and 3?

Also, what about developing support for speech+subtitles? This has been mentioned several times in the past in these forums.

Once again - Wonderful job! I wonder if my kid (once he's old enough to read...) will find an interest in these old Sierra games I grew up on... I'm not counting on it, but thanks to you guys I'll be able to find out!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Future plans

Post by md5 »

nathanel.mori wrote:Hi.

Congratulations to all of you behind SCUMMVM for your latest fantastic release, supporting SCI games. I was more than incredibly happy when I heard the news and downloaded my copy.

However, I'm dying to know what's coming next. Is there an estimated release date for a version supporting SCI 2 and 3?

Also, what about developing support for speech+subtitles? This has been mentioned several times in the past in these forums.

Once again - Wonderful job! I wonder if my kid (once he's old enough to read...) will find an interest in these old Sierra games I grew up on... I'm not counting on it, but thanks to you guys I'll be able to find out!

As for SCI2... well, it's in the works. Estimated date is, as usual, "when it's done" :P *Hopefully*, by the next stable ScummVM release, but no promises can be made at this point.

Regarding SCI3: this is a truly 32bit VM (the VM in SCI0-SCI2.1 was 16bit), so I can't say for sure. Some extensive changes will be required for SCI3, so I'm not quite sure right now
nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

Thanks for your quick reply.

What about the subtitles + speech fix I mentioned? Is there anything in plan for that?

Oh, and by the way - Wikipedia says about SCI2: "Often called SCI32 (along with SCI3), SCI2 (2.xxx.xxx) runs in 32-bit mode by using the DOS/4GW extender....."

Doesn't that mean that the SCI2 VM is also required to be 32-bit?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

nathanel.mori wrote:Thanks for your quick reply.

What about the subtitles + speech fix I mentioned? Is there anything in plan for that?
Perhaps. The speech and subtitles are all controlled by game scripts. If the change required to game scripts is not too big, and can be generalized, then sure, it's doable. Again, the answer is when it's done (i.e. when someone gets around to do it, if it's feasible at all)
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

nathanel.mori wrote:Doesn't that mean that the SCI2 VM is also required to be 32-bit?
No.
SCI0-SCI1.1 used a 16-bit real mode interpreter
SCI2-SCI3 used a 32-bit protected mode interpreter - and that's the reason, why we call SCI2-SCI3 "SCI32".

Internally SCI2/SCI2.1 still used 16-bit for the actual VM.
nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

faSCInating. Thanks.