Can somebody help me repair my Curse Disc 1?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

crazyfish

Can somebody help me repair my Curse Disc 1?

Post by crazyfish »

Hey guys, I really need your help. I have a big big big big big big big big problem. I cannot stress how big it is. My Curse of Monkey Island CD1 has a major scratch in it that cause over 7500 corrupt sectors in VOXDISC1.BUN. Which means the brilliant dialogue is ruined! I'd be indebted to anybody who helped me repair this file. Here's how to do it. If someone can help me repair this file I will help people repair theirs.
Here are the steps anyway.

Step 1: ISOBuster
Perform a surface scan on the disc to make sure it's error free.

Step 2 - ZIDRAV (http://sourceforge.net/projects/zidrav/)

Open up Zidrav and Click on Step 2 - Make Patch File. Open My CDT file (the corrupted checksum) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XT8IENNW
Then open the uncorrupted main file (VOXDISC1.BUN) and save it as a CDP file. In my case this file may be over 15MB.

Step 3 - Uploading

Go to www.megaupload.com, follow the steps to upload the CDP you made in step 2 and copy the link once the upload is finished, then paste it here or in a PM. You may want to RAR the CDP file first to make it smaller.

Then I can use the CDP file to patch my BUN file where it will be error free and I can play without the skipping dialouge from hell. This shouldn't be breaking any copyright laws because the file can't be used on it's own for any illegal purposes. Thanks in advance.
HelpUsPlay

Post by HelpUsPlay »

Other ideas: You can purchase a CD repair kit. Be sure to check reviews before selecting a brand and read their experiences before giving it a shot. The game can be purchased for well under $10, also. I've also had luck finding some older games on freecycle.com
crazyfish

Post by crazyfish »

It would be rather expensive for me since it's not avaliable in New Zealand and shipping costs from online retailers would mean that the game would cost at least $20. I tried making a CDP file from my CDT with a blank file of the same size to see how large the file would be, and while larger than I thought it'd be, it's only 31.6MB, and i'd be more than happy to make others CDP files for MI if they need it.
HelpUsPlay

Post by HelpUsPlay »

Good luck going that route!

Freecycle has a few groups in New Zealand. Check out this link: http://freecycle.org/display.php?region=International

I also found places in NZ that offer CD repair kits.
crazyfish

Post by crazyfish »

Theres no amount of CD repairing that's going to fix the incredibly deep scratch running along the edge of the disc where the BUN file is stored.
crazyfish

Post by crazyfish »

Thanks to salty-horse on the ScummVM IRC boards my VOXDISK1.BUN is fixed. I think this thread could be useful for people with corrupted files that need repairing. To repair a corrupted file...

1. ISOBuster
Extract the CD's files from the disc, when one file shows and error extract it and replace any error's with zeros.

2. Zidrav
Make a checksum file of your corrupted file

3. Uploading
Use an upload service to upload the CDT file and post the link here.
Someone else will download this and make a patch file.

It's a really easy way to fix corrupted files without having to buy a new copy of the game.