Mouse cursor recenters itself in full screen on Ubuntu 9.04

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Albertino

Mouse cursor recenters itself in full screen on Ubuntu 9.04

Post by Albertino »

I think I've pretty much summed it up perfectly in the subject title: Every time I start up ScummVM in full screen, the mouse recenters itself just a short second when from when I move it, back to the middle of the screen. This problem is, as I've found, not a problem with what version of the program I had, because when the problem first occured, It was in 0.13.0, and I thought it might just be a bug that was fixed, but 0.13.1 sadly didn't solve the problem.

At first, I wasn't all that upset about this, but for games like Full Throttle, which demand the mouse be in the window at all times like when you are fighting enemies, I find it insane to have to bring the window back into focus every time, it's damn near impossible.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Mouse cursor recenters itself in full screen on Ubuntu 9

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Albertino wrote:Every time I start up ScummVM in full screen, the mouse recenters itself just a short second when from when I move it, back to the middle of the screen.
I've never had that problem myself, even on the few occasions where I do run ScummVM in fullscreen mode. I'm told that setting the environment variable SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE to 0 helps some mouse-related problems (e.g. I used to have problems with the screensaver starting), but I don't know if it helps here.
Albertino wrote: At first, I wasn't all that upset about this, but for games like Full Throttle, which demand the mouse be in the window at all times like when you are fighting enemies, I find it insane to have to bring the window back into focus every time, it's damn near impossible.
If you press Ctrl-M, ScummVM should "trap" the mouse cursor inside the window, until you press Ctrl-M again. It's not a coincidence that this feature was added shortly after ScummVM started supporting the Full Throttle fighting sequences. :)
Albertino

Post by Albertino »

Hmm well, I really didn't see any changes from executing SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0 (if that's the way you do it) into the terminal, but I know now that this is more than just a full screen problem.

When I pressed ctrl+m like you said, the mouse cursor was pulling the same stunt as it did in full screen, it kept recentering itself.

All I know is that this can't possibly be solved by changing environment variable, can it?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Odd. I googled around a bit, and stumbled on this bug report, but I don't know if that applies either. It seems to blame something called "unclutter", which I don't run myself.
ganbare

Post by ganbare »

Sweet!! This worked! But you need to add "export"....I tried it without and it failed to work. So to solved this recentering mouse issue in a terminal type:

Code: Select all

export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0
scummvm
That should do the trick! :wink:
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

You can do it without export like this

Code: Select all

SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0 scummvm
Notice that everything is on one line.
id1402

Display Power Management

Post by id1402 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:I used to have problems with the screensaver starting
Is this problem solved in latest version?
I have scummvm-1.1.1-1 on Suse linux and Display Power Management is not deactivated when running ScummVM. So display turns off every 666 seconds (I have configured "xset dpms 666 666 666" on Linux boot up). Of course the display turns on again 1 second later because mouse is moving always when I play ScummVM. So I have to deactivate DPMS (display power management system) before starting ScummVM because black screen every 666 seconds sucks.
This problem does not exist only in ScummVM. For example it's the same Problem in Fuhquake (Quake 1 engine, OpenGL). But no problem in Doomsday engine.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Display Power Management

Post by eriktorbjorn »

id1402 wrote:
I don't know. I never noticed any drawbacks to using that environment variable all the time, so I believe I'm still using it. (I'm not at that computer at the moment.)
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Re: Display Power Management

Post by tsoliman »

id1402 wrote:
I have scummvm-1.1.1-1 on Suse linux and Display Power Management is not deactivated when running ScummVM. So display turns off every 666 seconds (I have configured "xset dpms 666 666 666" on Linux boot up). Of course the display turns on again 1 second later because mouse is moving always when I play ScummVM. So I have to deactivate DPMS (display power management system) before starting ScummVM because black screen every 666 seconds sucks.
This problem does not exist only in ScummVM. For example it's the same Problem in Fuhquake (Quake 1 engine, OpenGL). But no problem in Doomsday engine.
Does the same thing happen when running in a window?
I think it may be a problem with X detecting that there's activity.
id1402

Post by id1402 »

tbaher wrote:Does the same thing happen when running in a window?
I tested. No problem. Mouse moving in ScummVM-Window, mouse activity is detected, screen doesn't switch off.

Then I tested fullscreen again, but now using "SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0 scummvm". That solves my problem. Screen doesn't switch off.

Thank you.
id1402

Post by id1402 »

I met a new mouse problem in Suse 11.4. The mouse pointer is too fast in fullscreen mode (not in normal window mode).
The same "SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0 scummvm" thas solves DPMS problem, solves this problem too.