List of SCI gamedata files?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MrX_Cuci

List of SCI gamedata files?

Post by MrX_Cuci »

I can't seem to find it on the wiki. I have the Quest for Glory Anthology edition, but don't know what files to use to run the supported Quest for Glory games. There are around 14 directpries on that CD even multiple language versions.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

You need all of the resource.* files, and the .drv files (some of the time). The different directories on on the QFG anthology CD should be fairly self-explanatory -- i.e. QGF3E is Quest for Glory 3 english version. The CD version of QFG4 is in the root directory I think, but that's not supported in ScummVM yet.
MrX_Cuci

Post by MrX_Cuci »

Thanks! Will try. Is there no way of checking if I have all the required files? (apart from checking it manually)
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

If you can add the game to scummvm and play without crashing, you have all the required files.
lskovlund

Post by lskovlund »

KuroShiro wrote:If you can add the game to scummvm and play without crashing, you have all the required files.
This is not quite true. Many games (in fact, most SCI1.1 and later) have "patch files" in the game directory which fix critical bugs in the games. Some occur only later on.
MrX_Cuci

Post by MrX_Cuci »

I tried and they do work, but I am not certain if I got all files. Sometimes this pops ups: (I just copied the directories and added the games)
WARNING Attempt to use invalid/unused file 65535
WARNING matched and patched window dispose on script 559 offset 387!
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Re: List of SCI gamedata files?

Post by tsoliman »

MrX_Cuci wrote:I can't seem to find it on the wiki. I have the Quest for Glory Anthology edition, but don't know what files to use to run the supported Quest for Glory games. There are around 14 directpries on that CD even multiple language versions.
Which of the 4 games on there are you trying to add? I was successfully able to add the first 3 and the 4th one doesn't quite work in the latest svn yet (sci32)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MrX_Cuci wrote:I tried and they do work, but I am not certain if I got all files. Sometimes this pops ups: (I just copied the directories and added the games)
WARNING Attempt to use invalid/unused file 65535
WARNING matched and patched window dispose on script 559 offset 387!
These are fairly innocent. In fact, the latter shouldn't appear at all during normal gameplay, will fix that
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

For SCI games with subdirectories, are we supposed to leave the subdirectories in there or flatten them?
The reason I ask about flattening them is then the mass-add has less crap to work with and doesn't get false matches of subdirectories.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

tbaher wrote:For SCI games with subdirectories, are we supposed to leave the subdirectories in there or flatten them?
The reason I ask about flattening them is then the mass-add has less crap to work with and doesn't get false matches of subdirectories.
Either way should work. I suggest to leave the directories the way they are
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

What should we do in situations like GK2? The game comes on 6 CDs and there are files that have the same name with different sizes.
I tried making a CD1,CD2,... subdirectories and putting the entire CDs in them but then the autodetect doesn't work. Trying to autodetect CD1 works (but then of course I'd be missing the content from the other CDs)

And yes I realize GK2 is not supported yet.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

tbaher wrote:And yes I realize GK2 is not supported yet.
Yes. And this is one of the problems with it.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Well, there's the GK2 replacement installer:
http://gkpatches.vogons.zetafleet.com/

Effectively, this repackages all the game's resource files in one big file. However, it only runs under Windows. Thus, we are looking for a solution to rename the files with the same name in a specific way.
MrX_Cuci

Post by MrX_Cuci »

Browsing the SVN I figured out I at least need: Resource.map, resource.aud and resource.000. (probably all resource.00x files if there are any for a particular game) At least for the DOS / Windows versions anyway. It's still missing something, because you can't set the points in the beginning of the game. What file am I missing? Tried resource.cfg and resource.msg, but those are not it. (QFG3)

I know I can just copy all files, but I want it to be tidy as possible.

*edit*
Saw Police Quest SWAT going to be supported while browsing the SVN files. Great! Time to search for my collectors edition copy of Police Quest.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MrX_Cuci wrote:Browsing the SVN I figured out I at least need: Resource.map, resource.aud and resource.000. (probably all resource.00x files if there are any for a particular game) At least for the DOS / Windows versions anyway. It's still missing something, because you can't set the points in the beginning of the game. What file am I missing? Tried resource.cfg and resource.msg, but those are not it. (QFG3)

I know I can just copy all files, but I want it to be tidy as possible.

*edit*
Saw Police Quest SWAT going to be supported while browsing the SVN files. Great! Time to search for my collectors edition copy of Police Quest.
... these are the bare bones files. Each SCI game has a set of patch files, that you normally shouldn't ignore, or you'll run into odd problems (e.g. *.scr files, *.hep, *.v56 etc etc). This is why you shouldn't play the game with just the bare resource files. If you do insist, don't blame us for any bugs you find, that are already fixed by patch files... :)

As for PQ:SWAT, yes, it is planned to be supported some time in the future, together with all the newer SCI2, SCI2.1 and SCI3 games. These are still in the works, as the engine has been redesigned.