Space Quest IV Crash

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Space Quest IV Crash

Post by 82510 »

The wiki pointed me to spacequest.net for patches, where I found a CD Version patch. I copied the cd to my computer and applied it.

I worked great until I got to the Galaxy Galleria. I got to the screen with the software store and atm and tried to go to the left but got a message: Error: pic-operation set pattern inside sci1+1+ vector pattern.

I went the other way around past the other shops but it crashed on what I assume from having played the game years ago on dosbox is Hz So Good. I look on the spacequest.net forums and it said to copy the resource.aud from the cd to the patch directory and play the game from that. Savegames still worked but also still had the error. Do I need to remove a file? What's going on?

The sq forum http://forum.spacequest.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=384
listed a version 1.2a version of the patch with a tiny update but the link is dead and I can't find it anywhere. It doesn't sound like the update would help but I don't know what to do. Help.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

There should not be any crashes when playing the game with ScummVM, as long as you copy all of the files from the CD to your HD. That is of course unless new bugs have slipped by, in which case you should probably file a bug report so it can be fixed.

I believe the crash with the patch is known and not going to be fixed, as it takes data files from other versions and modifies them. I'd suggest deleting your SQ4 directory, recopying everything from your CD, and running in ScummVM.

Post by 82510 »

Do you have any links or anything as to the patch being broken?
What does the error mean?
What files in the patch does the Hz So Good appear in, so I could swap it for the original CD files? It would be easier, as I really don't want to have to restart the whole game.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

82510 wrote:Do you have any links or anything as to the patch being broken?
What does the error mean?
What files in the patch does the Hz So Good appear in, so I could swap it for the original CD files? It would be easier, as I really don't want to have to restart the whole game.
You shouldn't need to restart the whole game, any saves you made should still work fine. I don't know what the error message means, you'd have to wait for a SCI engine dev's response.

The 'Hz So Good' was changed from 'Radio Shock' in the CD version due to copyright issues I think.

This is what I was referring to about the patch you downloaded. I think there are some problems with it that will not be fixed due to it being considered a 'pirated' version by the ScummVM team. All bugs from the original game should be fixed without it in ScummVM as I said, so just re-copy the files from your CD and things should work fine.

Post by 82510 »

No, I tried to load my savegames from the original version but they didn't work. Since ScummVm's wiki linked to the spacequest.net page, saying it had patches, I didn't know they actually considered it a pirated version. Weird, since it's supposed to use the resource.aud file from the original CD, as this link says: http://forum.spacequest.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=384 even though the patch's documentation only says it's a patch, not the actual game.

I probably won't ask a developer, since it seems my problem is not considered to a problem based on the link you gave me. Unless you think they would give me a positive answer?

Unless anyone else has a suggestion, I guess I'll have to give up. I guess I can play it on DosBox if I ever feel like restarting, since I have to anyway.