Black screen on start on Windows Vista

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Crantz

Black screen on start on Windows Vista

Post by Crantz »

Hi there everyone,

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with a problem I'm having with ScummVM; I'd really appreciate any suggestions as I've tried all that I know to fix it myself.

Essentially I installed ScummVM having previously run it fine on this laptop and managed to successfully start it up and run 'Beneath a Steel Sky' on it twice. The second time I saved the game via the game's own save screen (not sure if this caused the problem or not) and since shutting the program down at that point every time I have tried to boot up ScummVM since a white window briefly appears before the whole screen goes black and the laptop becomes entirely unresponsive to anything except 'buttoning it'. :S

I had set the program to full screen, which could be the problem, but since then have uninstalled/reinstalled it, run it under different compatibility settings and screen resolutions and tried to start it as a minimised window with no change in its behaviour. I am running Windows Vista on a standard Dell laptop with the typical useless graphics card they give you preinstalled.

I don't see myself getting a new lappy anytime soon and can't believe that ScummVM is now apparently permanently broken on this one! Does anyone have any ideas? I was really enjoying the game too :(

Thank you!
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

I bet it's ScummVM's request for a full-screen window that crashes some part of Windows' video system.

There should be a config .ini file in either
C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM
or
C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\ScummVM

Find it and delete it. You may have to turn on 'show hidden files' in the explorer as 'Application Data' may be a hidden directory.

Once the ini file is gone, ScummVM will start with default settings next time that include not running in full-screen mode.
Crantz

Post by Crantz »

Hi Bobdevis,

Thanks so much for your suggestion, I followed what you said but it unfortunately doesn't seem to have made any difference! Don't seem to have a Documents and Settings folder so I only deleted the relevant file in the users directory, but no cigar. Much obliged, anyway :)
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

It is a shot in the dark but try this:
Uninstall it, delete the directory (if it is still there) and reinstall.
Crantz

Post by Crantz »

No, I tried that the first time I uninstalled/reinstalled it and nothing changed...thanks though...