ScummVM + 3DS

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

madmaxwell

ScummVM + 3DS

Post by madmaxwell »

I was wondering about why the Nintendo DS stopped being supported by scummvm I am guessing it had something to do with the systems power overall, so I thought maybe it might be able to make the leap to 3DS since it continues to use R4 and other 3rd party cards for homebrew. here are some system spec comparisons :3

Nintendo DS:
-------------------------------
CPUs: Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-S main CPU and ARM7TDMI coprocessor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively. The ARM946E-S CPU processes gameplay mechanisms and video rendering while the ARM7TDMI processes sound output, Wi-Fi support and additionally, when in Game Boy Advance mode, processes what the other processor used to do.
RAM: 4 MB of mobile RAM, expandable via the Game Boy Advance slot (The expanded memory is officially only used by the Opera web browser.)
Voltage: 1.65 volts required.
Storage: 256 kB of serial flash memory.
----
source wiki
Nintendo 3DS
------------------------

According to the fact-spilling source, the 3DS will have a pair of 266MHz ARM11 CPUs (yes, two of them), a 133MHz GPU with 4MB of dedicated VRAM, 64MB of regular RAM and 1.5GB flash storage.
-----------
source IGN

I think it should be possible to use the same controls as the ds to squeeze a little more out of Scummvh on the 3ds :3
hopes some of this helps to get the ball rolling in some direction.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

R4 and other 3rd party cards can't take advantage of the extra power found in the 3DS, can they? Don't the 3DS run in "DS mode" during that time?
madmaxwell

Post by madmaxwell »

as far as I know the only difference should be 3D mode is turned off.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

madmaxwell wrote:as far as I know the only difference should be 3D mode is turned off.
No. Most flashcarts run in DS mode, and aren't even able to take advantage of the extra memory and processor power of the DSi, let alone the 3DS. I think the lone exception is the CycloDS iEVO, and ScummVM DS doesn't run properly on that atm.