About SCUMMVM exiting when checksums fail

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ICEknight

About SCUMMVM exiting when checksums fail

Post by ICEknight »

I had never given it any thought until now, but I've recently felt that it seems very odd how SCUMMVM just stops running when the files for a selected game don't have the same MD5 checksums as they do in the internal database.

I just thought that SCUMMVM could be a little more user-friendly if, instead, it gave a warning and let the user choose between exiting or continuing at the user's risk, using the already auto-detected engine for it.

What's your oppinion on this matter? Does any of the SCUMMVM devs think that this "exit/continue at your own risk" option could be added?

Thanks for reading.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Actually, most engines have a filename-based fallback detector. In that case, the game still runs and a warning with the MD5 checksums and a request to send us those checksums is printed to stdout.

When the game doesn't run at all, it's either
1) an experimental engine that's not finished yet and therefore has no fallback yet (the game is then not safe for the public yet anyway)
2) Hard or not possible to differentiate between different versions by filename alone
3) A weird version with filenames we have never seen

In all these cases, we would actually need the checksums; it's not possible to just implement a "continue" button. A warning with the request to send us the checksums is printed out on stdout. Unfortunately, this is not visible when starting ScummVM on Windows from the desktop, IIRC.