King's Quest 5 (Italian) bug

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Calza

King's Quest 5 (Italian) bug

Post by Calza »

Dear all,

I just registered to this forum to report a bug in the Italian floppy version of King's Quest V. I played through the entire game and now I reached the final battle against Mordack; but, after the intervention by Cedric, the evil wizard threatens me and the game just stops. It is not like freezing: I can still move the (hourglass) cursor, but the scene does not proceed any further. I suppose it is not a spell by Mordack :)

I'm running ScummVM 1.2.1 on Ubuntu 11.04. Thanks in advance and congratulations for this great program ;)
Calza

Post by Calza »

I tried updating to ScummVM 1.3.1, but I still have the same issue. So it definitely seems a bug...

Were you already aware about that? Do you need additional feedback about it?

Another question: should I get the English version of the games to minimize this kind of risk in the future, or is it the same for ScummVM to run the English or the Italian version? This time I was lucky, since the problem was at the end of the game and I just missed the final battle, next time it could be worse :)
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Well, first of all you might want to try downloading the daily build to see if the bug has already been fixed. If it's still there, I don't think the bug exists in the English version, but you should probably report the bug anyway. That way it will actually get fixed and you'll be able to use the Italian version. Bugs are usually game-specific, so Italian versions of other games (assuming they exist) should work ok.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I am aware of at least one English version of KQ5 floppy that has a corrupted resource file (resource.001), and all of the files used for the game's ending are corrupted. I believe that the Italian version is a fan made translation of the English version, right? If this is the case, the only thing you can do is to use parts of the CD version of the game to fix your floppy version, but you need to own both the CD and the floppy version of the game to do this. I've made a page about this procedure here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/KQ5_floppy_fix
Calza

Post by Calza »

md5 wrote:I am aware of at least one English version of KQ5 floppy that has a corrupted resource file (resource.001), and all of the files used for the game's ending are corrupted. I believe that the Italian version is a fan made translation of the English version, right? If this is the case, the only thing you can do is to use parts of the CD version of the game to fix your floppy version, but you need to own both the CD and the floppy version of the game to do this. I've made a page about this procedure here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/KQ5_floppy_fix
Surprisingly enough, the Italian version was actually produced by Sierra. Surfing the web, I noticed that many users experienced problems towards the ending of the game in the floppy version, but at a different point (after defeating Mordack).

I just watched the ending on YouTube, it was a bit sad, but I think it's definitely easier than looking for a CD version and try your procedure. Thanks anyway for the suggestion and keep going with this wonderful program ;)

By the way, if many users are experiencing the problem, you could evaluate if it is a good idea to point out this in the compatibility page.