From 1.2.1 to 1.3.1: a couple of issues

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Calza

From 1.2.1 to 1.3.1: a couple of issues

Post by Calza »

Dear all,

I updated ScummVM from 1.2.1 to 1.3.1 on my Ubuntu box. I noticed a couple of problems, which I would like to ask you how to solve.

1. "Beneath a steel sky" and "Flight of the amazon queen" do not work anymore. Whenever I try to start them, a loading bar appears with title "Initialising MT-32 emulator" (IIRC, it was not present in the old version). I can just see the intro, but when the game starts (or I load it) ScummVM always crashes. On my terminal, the output is "Operation not allowed".

2. I moved the games from one folder to another one. Most of the saved games work flawlessly, but for some games like "Simon the sorcerer" ScummVM is not able to find the saved games. How can I fix this? I noticed all the saved games are in "~/.scummvm".

Honestly, I do not know if these issues are due to ScummVM upgrading or to the moving of the games from their original path, since I performed the two operations at the same time...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: From 1.2.1 to 1.3.1: a couple of issues

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Calza wrote: 1. "Beneath a steel sky" and "Flight of the amazon queen" do not work anymore. Whenever I try to start them, a loading bar appears with title "Initialising MT-32 emulator" (IIRC, it was not present in the old version). I can just see the intro, but when the game starts (or I load it) ScummVM always crashes. On my terminal, the output is "Operation not allowed".
I seem to recall that ScummVM was changed to prefer MT-32 music for games that have it. I thought the issues with it trying - and failing - to use he MT-32 emulator had been straightened out, but perhaps that wasn't until after 1.3.1.

You should be able to fix it by explicitly setting the "Music Device" setting to something sensible. (In my case, "Emu10k1 Wave Table [ALSA]" or "AdLib Emulator" are usually sensible, but your mileage - and indeed the available choices - may vary.)
Calza wrote: 2. I moved the games from one folder to another one. Most of the saved games work flawlessly, but for some games like "Simon the sorcerer" ScummVM is not able to find the saved games. How can I fix this? I noticed all the saved games are in "~/.scummvm".
It shouldn't be a problem, but the savegame file names are usually based on the "ID" setting for a game. If you added the game to ScummVM a second time, before removing the first one, the second one would have gotten a different ID than the first one.

If you're absolutely certain what the ID should be, it may be possible to change it from the "Edit Game" dialog but maybe it's simpler to just remove and re-add the game. Or, if all else fails, rename the savegame files to correspond with the id.
Calza

Re: From 1.2.1 to 1.3.1: a couple of issues

Post by Calza »

First of all, thanks for your assistance. I fixed the problem with Sky and Queen by changing the audio setting as you suggested, but I still have problems with saved games.
eriktorbjorn wrote: It shouldn't be a problem, but the savegame file names are usually based on the "ID" setting for a game. If you added the game to ScummVM a second time, before removing the first one, the second one would have gotten a different ID than the first one.

If you're absolutely certain what the ID should be, it may be possible to change it from the "Edit Game" dialog but maybe it's simpler to just remove and re-add the game. Or, if all else fails, rename the savegame files to correspond with the id.
By looking at the setting, I noticed that the ID and the saved-games names for Simon indeed mismatch (simon1 and simon1-it IIRC) but, for instance, this is not the case for Gobliins 2, the other game with loading problems. And even renaming the saved games for Simon does not solve the issue.
Calza

Post by Calza »

Sorry, I'm just stupid :lol: The savegames issue is not an issue: ScummVM simply disallow loading for those game from the launcher, you need to start the game first and then load through the game interface...
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

That doesn't make you stupid. Good observation actually. Glad you figured it out :)
Calza

Post by Calza »

envisaged0ne wrote:That doesn't make you stupid. Good observation actually. Glad you figured it out :)
Indeed, it's a minor issue, but it might be confusing for some users. Can some of the developers explain why it works in this way? It's a bit odd, I'm just curious :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Calza wrote:Indeed, it's a minor issue, but it might be confusing for some users. Can some of the developers explain why it works in this way? It's a bit odd, I'm just curious :)
The scripts handle loading games in AGOS.