No **music** in Discworld

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Calza

No **music** in Discworld

Post by Calza »

Hi all,

I have this weird problem with Discworld: sound is working, since I hear the speech and some effects, but music is not. There is just no music in all the game.

I run ScummVM 1.3.1 on Ubuntu Linux. Any idea?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

What version of Discworld do you have? Is it the DOS version? What sound driver are you using?

Does this still happen with 1.4.0? With a build off the master?
Calza

Post by Calza »

clone2727 wrote:What version of Discworld do you have? Is it the DOS version? What sound driver are you using?

Does this still happen with 1.4.0? With a build off the master?
It's the Italian CD version of Discworld (English audio, Italian subtitles). I'm using ALSA on Ubuntu, since PulseAudio was annoying in combination with SDL.

I don't know if this still happens in 1.4.0, I'm still waiting for the package...
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

It's not the PlayStation version though, right?
Calza

Post by Calza »

clone2727 wrote:It's not the PlayStation version though, right?
No, it's the Windows version on CD. It works fine, except for the music. IIRC, Discworld is quite a buggy game and I had some problems with it long time ago, but music at least should work :lol:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Calza wrote:I'm using ALSA on Ubuntu, since PulseAudio was annoying in combination with SDL.
I think he meant what ScummVM's "Music Device" (if you're using the "Edit game" dialog) or "Preferred Device" (if you're using the "Options" dialog) in ScummVM says. It used to be that the most common cause of missing music in Linux was that there was no support for MIDI playback, or that ScummVM wasn't properly set up for it. I don't know if that's still the case. (ScummVM should be a lot better at auto-detecting MIDI devices these days.)

You could try changing the device to "AdLib Emulator". If a game doesn't use digitized music (Discworld II does, but the first one doesn't), AdLib is usually the lowest common denominator, at least for DOS games. It probably won't sound as nice that way, though.
Calza

Post by Calza »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Calza wrote:I'm using ALSA on Ubuntu, since PulseAudio was annoying in combination with SDL.
I think he meant what ScummVM's "Music Device" (if you're using the "Edit game" dialog) or "Preferred Device" (if you're using the "Options" dialog) in ScummVM says. It used to be that the most common cause of missing music in Linux was that there was no support for MIDI playback, or that ScummVM wasn't properly set up for it. I don't know if that's still the case. (ScummVM should be a lot better at auto-detecting MIDI devices these days.)

You could try changing the device to "AdLib Emulator". If a game doesn't use digitized music (Discworld II does, but the first one doesn't), AdLib is usually the lowest common denominator, at least for DOS games. It probably won't sound as nice that way, though.
I changed "Preferred Device" to "AdLib Emulator" and now the sound works fine! Thanks for the hint!

Do you think there are better options in general? Maybe I should set this just for DW, while keeping a different setting for other games?
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Calza wrote: Do you think there are better options in general? Maybe I should set this just for DW, while keeping a different setting for other games?
My sound card has a built-in MIDI synth, so that's what I'm using. ScummVM detects this as "Emu10k1 WaveTable [ALSA]". However, for it to work I have to make sure a SoundFont is loaded, using the "asfxload" command. I don't know what's a good choice here, so I just stuck with the 8MBGMSFX.SF2 one that came with my sound card. (Perhaps a bit confusingly, ScummVM's own SoundFont setting does nothing in this case.) I also have to make sure that the AlsaMixer setting for "Synth" isn't set too low.

ALSA has the ability to play MIDI through an external process, for instance if you have TiMidity++ installed and properly configured. (I run Debian, and had to install timidity, timidity-daemon and freepats.) For me, ScummVM detects that as "TiMidity [ALSA]".

Another option is the FluidSynth driver. This one also needs a SoundFont file, and this is a case where ScummVM's SoundFont setting is used. I think it's also the only case where the "MIDI gain" is used. (It was added because I couldn't figure out any way to get the appropriate volume by default in all cases I tried.)

Or, as Smothermunchie said, for this game there's is also the option of pre-recoded music, though I don't use that myself. (Last time I checked, the tempo was a bit different than the original. It was probably based on the tempo of the MIDI data, and the game deliberately speeds that up a bit. I don't know which better reflects the composer's intentions.)
Calza

Post by Calza »

eriktorbjorn wrote: My sound card has a built-in MIDI synth, so that's what I'm using. ScummVM detects this as "Emu10k1 WaveTable [ALSA]". However, for it to work I have to make sure a SoundFont is loaded, using the "asfxload" command. I don't know what's a good choice here, so I just stuck with the 8MBGMSFX.SF2 one that came with my sound card. (Perhaps a bit confusingly, ScummVM's own SoundFont setting does nothing in this case.) I also have to make sure that the AlsaMixer setting for "Synth" isn't set too low.

ALSA has the ability to play MIDI through an external process, for instance if you have TiMidity++ installed and properly configured. (I run Debian, and had to install timidity, timidity-daemon and freepats.) For me, ScummVM detects that as "TiMidity [ALSA]".

Another option is the FluidSynth driver. This one also needs a SoundFont file, and this is a case where ScummVM's SoundFont setting is used. I think it's also the only case where the "MIDI gain" is used. (It was added because I couldn't figure out any way to get the appropriate volume by default in all cases I tried.)

Or, as Smothermunchie said, for this game there's is also the option of pre-recoded music, though I don't use that myself. (Last time I checked, the tempo was a bit different than the original. It was probably based on the tempo of the MIDI data, and the game deliberately speeds that up a bit. I don't know which better reflects the composer's intentions.)
Thanks for your help, your explanation was really detailed. Now I'm going to play around with the settings until I get something nice 8)