Virtual/Android Keyboard not showing up @ 2.2 Froyo

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Hamp0r

Virtual/Android Keyboard not showing up @ 2.2 Froyo

Post by Hamp0r »

First I must say that it's so cool to play these great games with a touchscreen tablet, thank you!

But now I have a problem:

I upgraded the tablet from 2.1 to 2.2 Froyo. Now,
the virtual/android keyboard does not show up anymore if I press (and hold) the menu button.

I tried the following without success:

- different combinations of buttons and/or timings
- upgrade to a different/newer 2.2 Froyo Version
- Tried ScummVM 1.4 from market as well as build ScummVM 1.5.0git1022 from repository.
- Tried different games Monkey Island(1), Zak McKracken etc.
- at 2.1 everything was working fine

So, any chance to help me out?

Thanky,
~Hamp0r
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Re: Virtual/Android Keyboard not showing up @ 2.2 Froyo

Post by fuzzie »

Hamp0r wrote:I upgraded the tablet from 2.1 to 2.2 Froyo. Now, the virtual/android keyboard does not show up anymore if I press (and hold) the menu button.
Which tablet is it? Do you have a physical menu button?

We just check for KEYCODE_MENU being held down, so the only thing I can think of is that you have an on-screen menu button on a hacked tablet bar, and I don't think there's anything we can do if that doesn't work properly (other than add some swipe gestures instead).
Hamp0r

Post by Hamp0r »

First thanks for the answer, although my reply is a little late, sorry...

> Do you have a physical menu button?

Yes I have.

> We just check for KEYCODE_MENU being held down, so the only thing I can think of is that you have an on-screen menu button on a hacked tablet bar, and I don't think there's anything we can do if that doesn't work properly (other than add some swipe gestures instead).

Thats what I also thought of. And I found a solution: Some days ago I found ScummVM-SDL . In this (unofficial) port, it is possoble to have virtual buttons on the screen, which activate the keyboard (or have other functions)-.
It is possible to define the function and layout of these buttons according to personal taste.

So thanks...[/b]
gregoryg

Post by gregoryg »

Just wanted to confirm that this solution works for tablets without a physical menu button. I've sideloaded the SDL version onto my non-rooted Kindle Fire and it works like a gem. Thanks Hamp0r!
dan000

Post by dan000 »

gregoryg wrote:Just wanted to confirm that this solution works for tablets without a physical menu button. I've sideloaded the SDL version onto my non-rooted Kindle Fire and it works like a gem. Thanks Hamp0r!
Where can I find this? I installed it on my Fire from the Market, and I find no way of using the keyboard, making some games impossible to play. Where do I find the SDL version? Can I get it on the Market, or does it have to be side-loaded?
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

dan000 wrote:
gregoryg wrote:Just wanted to confirm that this solution works for tablets without a physical menu button. I've sideloaded the SDL version onto my non-rooted Kindle Fire and it works like a gem. Thanks Hamp0r!
Where can I find this? I installed it on my Fire from the Market, and I find no way of using the keyboard, making some games impossible to play. Where do I find the SDL version? Can I get it on the Market, or does it have to be side-loaded?
It's pretty weird if Amazon really broke the Kindle Fire's menu button like that, but I guess they don't care too much about compatibility? I mean, no modern high-end tablets have physical buttons and it works fine on all of them (e.g. Transformer, Galaxy Tab, etc).

Anyway, SDL builds are available from http://anddev.at.ua/load/scummvm_svn55436/1-1-0-7 - note that we don't support those builds, lubomyr does.