MD5 checksum headaches...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GeorgeQGreg

MD5 checksum headaches...

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

So... an amazing find on good 'ol eBay... I have just found the first German edition of SPY Fox... where it was called Agent Fuchs! Terrific! Even better, it's got the German demo of Putt-Putt Travels Through time on it! Wonderful for ScummVM! Demo works perfectly too...

That's where the good news stops... as the game itself does NOT work on ScummVM... that is not so good... now, the first thing someone from the ScummVM team would tell me to do is to post the MD5 sums on the bug tracker to be posted... fantastic... if only I had them... you see... ScummVM only takes the first few thousand bytes into consideration when calculating MD5 checksums... the output from any old program will not work! ScummVM detects no game, and as such, offers no MD5 sums... sending the CD to a ScummVM dev is unacceptable, as I REALLY don't want to part with it after working so hard to get it... sending it to a team member in... less legitimate methods is also completely unacceptable, obviously...

So my question is... what shall I do? I really want to help this fantastic old game get supported on ScummVM...

Actually... NVM... I got it to run by renaming the files... MD5 given is 68e4bf77136cb3165e65d5c197ce65bd for the HE0. will post it to the bug tracker shortly...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The process is easy, and we still miss an important piece. Since you cannot provide the CDs, that is fine. Once we added support for HE games, we were getting dozens of such reports. It is just that there are literally hundreds of variants of those games.

So what we actually need: (1) file layout in the game directory, i.e. we need to know the original file names (2) md5 of first 5000 bytes for .HE0 file, which you already provided.

The best place for such kind of reports is our bugtracker, just as it is written in the forum rules over here. Still we can continue in this thread or over the IRC if you're available.

Eugene