Broken Sword 1 ScummVm problem

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

George Stobbart

Broken Sword 1 ScummVm problem

Post by George Stobbart »

Hi, I saw that the new version of ScummVM can not see the movies of Broken Sword 1, at the beginning says: "The MPEG2 cutscenes are not supported" what can I do? :(
KuroShiro

Re: Broken Sword 1 ScummVm problem

Post by KuroShiro »

George Stobbart wrote:Hi, I saw that the new version of ScummVM can not see the movies of Broken Sword 1, at the beginning says: "The MPEG2 cutscenes are not supported" what can I do? :(
Well, I don't think this is really a problem, just download the cut scene packs from the download page if the originals aren't working for you. I don't think the mpeg2 videos have been used since v0.10 so this isn't really news.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

KuroShiro wrote:I don't think the mpeg2 videos have been used since v0.10 so this isn't really news.
If memory serves me, MPEG support was removed around the time DXA support was added, so that would be 0.10.0 as you say. Part of the reason was that the DXA format meant the original Smacker videos (which weren't supported at the time) could be losslessly re-encoded. The MPEG movies are much poorer quality. Another reason was that displaying 16-bit graphics was, at the time, a colossal hack. Maybe it would be easier to do it now, since ScummVM can support 16-bit graphics without resorting to dirty tricks, but I don't know.

I thought the warning message about MPEG not being supported used to refer to the ScummVM downloads page, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
KuroShiro wrote: I thought the warning message about MPEG not being supported used to refer to the ScummVM downloads page, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.
I got the same message upon starting up ScummVM. MPEG2's no longer supported. A quick download of the DXA movies solved the problem effortlessly.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I hope i do understand it right when i assume the best quality cutscenes are the original smacker videos from the cds? (now that smacker vids are supported?)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Raziel wrote:I hope i do understand it right when i assume the best quality cutscenes are the original smacker videos from the cds? (now that smacker vids are supported?)
DXA and Smacker should be identical for the video part. The audio part depends on how the sound was re-encoded. MP3 and Ogg Vorbis are lossy while FLAC is not, but I couldn't tell them apart on my hardware.
George Stobbart

Thank you all for the answers.
KuroShiro wrote:I got the same message upon starting up ScummVM. MPEG2's no longer supported. A quick download of the DXA movies solved the problem effortlessly.
Thanks, I just do not understand what package should I download downloads ... ScummVM site there are many ... can you give me the link of dxa movies in Italian?
Thanks! :wink:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

George Stobbart wrote: can you give me the link of dxa movies in Italian?
I assume that would be the "Broken Sword Cutscene Pack (English, DXA compression)", the "Broken Sword Cutscene Pack (Italian AddOn)" (alternatively, the "Broken Sword Cutscene Pack (Italian OGG AddOn)", which is smaller but uses lossy compression for the audio which means it's theoretically lower quality) and, optionally, the "Broken Sword Cutscene Pack (all languages, Subtitles AddOn)" on the downloads page.

What with Christmas approaching, I don't really have the time to test this myself though.
George Stobbart

eriktorbjorn wrote:I assume that would be the "Broken Sword Cutscene Pack (English, DXA compression)", the "Broken Sword Cutscene Pack (Italian AddOn)" (alternatively, the "Broken Sword Cutscene Pack (Italian OGG AddOn)", which is smaller but uses lossy compression for the audio which means it's theoretically lower quality) and, optionally, the "Broken Sword Cutscene Pack (all languages, Subtitles AddOn)" on the downloads page.

What with Christmas approaching, I don't really have the time to test this myself though.
Thank you friend, you have been my help!
Greetings from Italy! :D :wink:
marstewart

Post by marstewart »

i just wanted to know what was happening with your downloads?
Archey*

Post by Archey* »

Hello all,

I've just discovered ScummVM and I'm hoping will allow me to re-live many happy hours of retro gaming, and perhaps even experience a few games I missed out on the first time around! :)

I've installed ScummVM and I've got Broken Sword 1 up and running. It works fine in full-screen, and actually looks pretty good. The problem is that I don't seem to have any sound. The sound works during the intro, but once the game starts I only have subtitles.

Does anybody know of a remedy for this? Is it a common problem? Is it simply a case of adjusting my settings?

Any help would be very much appreciated - I'm so close to re-playing this wonderful game but it just isn't quite the same without the sound...
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Dear Archey*

In order to help you efficiently we need some more detail about your environment. Could you specify: the version of ScummVM you're using, your platform/OS, the language of the game, ....

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Strangerke
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Archey* wrote:The problem is that I don't seem to have any sound. The sound works during the intro, but once the game starts I only have subtitles.
One possibility is that the appropriate speech file could be missing or overwritten. At least in the original Windows release, the game spans 2 CDs. Both of them have a file called speech.clu, but they're not identical. ScummVM needs them both. To tell them apart, the one from the first CD has to be renamed speech1.clu, and the one from the second has to be renamed speech2.clu.
Archey*

Post by Archey* »

Hello all - thank you for your replies.

Strangerke: I'm running ScummVM version 1.4.1 on Windows 7. The game language is English. Please let me know if you need any other details.

eriktorbjorn: when I browse the game directory, I can't seem to see any speech.clu files...

When I run the game normally (not through ScummVM), the sound works fine but the picture doesn't display properly. When I run the game through ScummVM, the picture is good but there is no speech.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Archey* wrote: eriktorbjorn: when I browse the game directory, I can't seem to see any speech.clu files...
On the 2 CD version I have, the speech.clu files are in a folder named "SPEECH" on the first CD, and a folder named "speech" on the second one. Did you run the installer to copy the files to your hard disk? In that case, maybe it didn't copy all of the files. At least for this version, it's probably easier/safer to copy the files manually from the CDs instead.