The Secret Of Monkey Island - No Sound, Unless Disc Is In

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GingieJames

The Secret Of Monkey Island - No Sound, Unless Disc Is In

Post by GingieJames »

Hi there, I know this has probably been posted a few times and for that I am sorry, but I am really confused at the moment... I did try reading through previous posts but I think I am either missing something, or just being stupid.

The game itself works perfectly... however, It wont run ANY sounds unless I have the game disc inserted...

I have tried converting them to MP3 (320kbps) and all 24 tracks appeared, and play fine in WMP...

I tried placing the files directly into the same folder as the data files, but still no sound unless I have the disc in...

Sorry to be a pain, but I've only just installed this today and haven't gotten used to ScummVM yet, but it seems to be the only way I can play my old Monkey Island & Broken Sword games.

If it's any help, I am using "The Monkey Island Bounty Pack" which has three disc's (Monkey1 & Monkey2 on disc 1, & Curse Of Monkey on 2 & 3)

*** Note: It does actually give me a warning about sounds being ripped from the disc, and to refer to the README.txt, but I couldn't find the info I needed.***
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

One possibility would be if the MP3 files aren't named the way ScummVM expect them to. It will look for files called track1.mp3 (or track01.mp3), track2.mp3 (or track02.mp3), etc. And of course Windows, if that's what you're using, has this really goofy habit of hiding the extension of files it thinks it recognizes. A file that shows up as "track1.mp3" may actually be named "track1.mp3.mp3".
GingieJames

Post by GingieJames »

Ok... thanks for that info... sound is now playing...

The problem I had was that they were named "track 1" instead of "track01" (there was a space, and 0's needed to be inserted in front of single digit numbers)...

The only problem I have now is that the tracks are out of order? I think I need to rename them so that they are in the correct order...

Is there any chance that anyone already has a list of what each file name needs to be changed to?

i.e.

Track 1 = Track 6
Track 2 = Track 13
etc etc?

Have been trying to google the info but am not having any luck so far
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

As long as they're in the same order that they are on the cd when you extract the tracks, there should be no problems. They're not in the same order that they're played in the game if I recall.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

you can just rename
track 1.mp3 -> track01.mp3
track 2.mp3 -> track02.mp3
track 3.mp3 -> track03.mp3

Sorting doesn't matter. The order on the CD is what matters.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

tsoliman wrote:you can just rename
track 1.mp3 -> track01.mp3
track 2.mp3 -> track02.mp3
track 3.mp3 -> track03.mp3

Sorting doesn't matter. The order on the CD is what matters.
In fact track1.mp3 should work too, there does not need to be a 0 in front for one digit track numbers.
GingieJames

Post by GingieJames »

Hey, sorry for the mess...

Turns out something went wrong when the files were ripped, and I ended up with duplicate files, under different track numbers...

i.e. Track 1 = Track 1, Track 2 = Track 1

I deleted and re-ripped the files, and they all work perfectly now.

Thanks for the help