Return to Zork: GOG Version Crashes on ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kingbagel

Return to Zork: GOG Version Crashes on ScummVM

Post by kingbagel »

Hello all,

I've been scouring the Internet and trying everything I can think of to resolve this, but unfortunately I have to resort to asking for help. My apologies if this has been asked in some capacity before -- if it has, I can't find it.

A friend and I are trying to play the GOG.com release of Return to Zork, but he keeps experiencing lock-ups on the save screen (DosBox). When I suggested using ScummVM, he reported that it didn't work there, either, so I tried it myself with my copy. Sure enough, ScummVM crashes every time I try to start the game ("hxxp://www.scummvm.org/ has stopped working"). This is the error I get in the console window...
User picked target 'rtz-cd' (gameid 'made')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... MADE
Starting 'MADE engine game'
Assertion failed: _handle, file common/file.cpp, line 135

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Now, I've done some poking around in the game files. One of them, RTZ.gog, is apparently a renamed .bin/.iso file, coupled with RTZ.inst which I believe is the .cue. I thought maybe this was what ScummVM got hung up on, so I renamed them, but it didn't help.

I feel like I'm missing some minor detail here. I don't even know if it's actually related to GOG's version -- I'm only assuming it is because nobody else seems to have this problem. My friend and I are both using Windows 7 if that helps.

I appreciate any help I can get with this. My friend is ridiculously nostalgic for this game and it's killing him that he can't play.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

If they actually are iso files like you think (which I believe they might be, given past discussions) then you should try mounting them with a program like Daemon tools and copying the needed data files to the hard drive. From there you can easily add it in ScummVM and (hopefully) play it.