Do you need an engine to make a point/click RPG?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nogert

Do you need an engine to make a point/click RPG?

Post by Nogert »

Hi me and my friend are planning to make a short point and click rpg, we're currently in the idea phase and I'm just looking into possible ways to make it. I'm not a brilliant coder, I'm more of the artist but my friend is good with good at c#.

So do we need an engine to work with? Or can something like this be made from scratch?

Are engines free to use? like UDK or Steam Hammer?

Also can anyone recommend some good resources such as tutorials, tips etc? Thanksyou!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

You could try the AGI/SCI engine

The link will bring you to the internal AGI/SCI Fanmade games forum.
There you should find enough resource and users to keep you busy for a while ;-)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Or, alternatively, head to the SCI Programming Community where most of the AGI/SCI community still resides nowadays and still has some old-time members that were around when SCI/AGI Studio was booming.

Alternatively alternatively, if you want something with a little more capability, palette colour count (AGI and SCI are limited to 16 colours max), and a modern appeal, check out Adventure Game Studio. AGS is what AGDI used for the free Quest For Glory II remake and also what their commercial counterpart label Himalaya Studios are using to create Mage's Initiation, a new Adventure/RPG in the style of QFG.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:AGI and SCI are limited to 16 colours max
Wrong on both counts!
Collector

Post by Collector »

clone2727 wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:AGI and SCI are limited to 16 colours max
Wrong on both counts!
I am aware of a couple of 256 color AGI games, but the usual tools to develop for them are limited to 16 colors. There are two choices for doing SCI, SCI Studio and SCI Companion. Both are limited to 16 colors. Brian's SCI Studio VGA is not in a usable state. He released the source for it when he moved on, but no one capable has had the time or inclination to finish it.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Collector wrote:I am aware of a couple of 256 color AGI games, but the usual tools to develop for them are limited to 16 colors. There are two choices for doing SCI, SCI Studio and SCI Companion. Both are limited to 16 colors. Brian's SCI Studio VGA is not in a usable state. He released the source for it when he moved on, but no one capable has had the time or inclination to finish it.
Sure, but that's not what he said.
MusicallyInspired

Right, AGI can support 256 colours due to fanmade interpreter alterations, my bad. But as far as fanmade SCI games go, yeah you're limited to 16 colours as of now. Since the subject was creating fangames with AGI/SCI I was only wrong on one count. ;)
Nogert

Post by Nogert »

Thanks for the information everyone, I've had a look into AGI and SCI but they both seem quite old and seems to have limations. Ideally I wanted something a bit more modern (do they exist?)

Here's an example of what I'm aiming for graphically, is it likely that this would be coded from scratch?

Also I've recently been looking at AGS would you recommend that?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Well, to make a 'point and click RPG', your best bet is probably AGS, as it has the most functionality of the engines mentioned here. It's designed mainly for adventure games though, so designing a combat system would require some programming skill and time investment. It's certainly possible though (see the QFG remake that has been mentioned).

There are a few RPG-making tools out there, mainly the RPG Maker engine, though those are mainly used to create jrpgs. Finally, you could do it as a mod of an existing game with a toolset, such as Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2.
Nogert

Post by Nogert »

KuroShiro wrote:Well, to make a 'point and click RPG', your best bet is probably AGS, as it has the most functionality of the engines mentioned here. It's designed mainly for adventure games though, so designing a combat system would require some programming skill and time investment. It's certainly possible though (see the QFG remake that has been mentioned).

There are a few RPG-making tools out there, mainly the RPG Maker engine, though those are mainly used to create jrpgs. Finally, you could do it as a mod of an existing game with a toolset, such as Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2.
Oh I always thought Adventure games and Point and Click RPG's meant the same thing.

Basically we're making 2D point and click game with pixel art graphics much like Monkey Island etc, and just to clarify there will be no combat, just puzzle based gaming.

Sorry if it wasn't clear what I'm doing, I got a bit confused with the terminology.

Anyway thanks for replying, it's looking like AGS will be the best option for us, I'm also looking into something called wintermute which seems quite good!
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

There is also a list of engines with authoring tools on our wiki: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO-Fangames
MusicallyInspired

AGS is the de facto standard for adventures. It can do low res and high res well. It excels in low res, though. And low res is faster to make.

Yeah, RPG's and adventures are definitely not the same thing lol.