Issue with SCI undithering

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Parhelion

Issue with SCI undithering

Post by Parhelion »

It's been a while since I've played with ScummVM, so I apologize if I've missed something obvious here.

I'm trying to enable SCI undithering in the [scummvm] section of the INI file, so I can launch the games from a 3rd party application without "adding" the games through the GUI.

When I put disable_dithering=true in the [scummvm] section, it works to disable dithering in SCI games, but it causes my Scumm games to crash on loading. And it causes the GUI to crash when I click on the 'Options' button.

Also, I noticed that the INI file no longer has line breaks. It's all concatenated together. I don't remember that from a few years ago, but maybe I'm wrong. Is that by design? Because it seems finicky this way. For example, I added 'aspect_ratio=true' at the end of the file, and it causes the GUI to crash. I moved the same entry to the beginning, and it worked no problem.

P.S. - I used to play with FreeSCI back in the old days. Does anyone know if any of the other old FreeSCI graphics options are available via the INI file, or is it just undithering? No big deal, just curious.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Undithering is the only one. It was created specifically by ScummVM team members as well, IIRC. The older graphics options from FreeSCI aren't included (yet?). The high-res vector drawing option was nice to play with on Linux :). Never worked in Windows, though.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you regarding the INI.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Issue with SCI undithering

Post by DrMcCoy »

Parhelion wrote:Also, I noticed that the INI file no longer has line breaks. It's all concatenated together.
Your text editor propably just doesn't understand UNIX line breaks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline#Common_problems
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

If you use Notepad then you may want to get Notepad++
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The undithering feature in ScummVM is an enhancement over the original one in FreeSCI (the one in FreeSCI only supported pics, in ScummVM it also supports views).

The SCI graphics subsystem has been rewritten in ScummVM to match what the original interpreter is doing. Some of the filters in FreeSCI (most notably the vector filters) haven't been rewritten yet, as the bitmap filters in ScummVM (like HQ3x) are far superior, use optimized assembly code and offer much better results. Thus, I personally don't see any real reason of rewriting the FreeSCI vector filters if the code will be slower and there won't be any improvement anyway.

Is there any specific feature from FreeSCI that you would like to see in ScummVM? Will there be any notable improvement over the existing feature set?
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

Is there any specific feature from FreeSCI that you would like to see in ScummVM?
No, not at all. I was just curious, since so much tinkering was involved in setting up FreeSCI. I'm very happy with how it works.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I was indeed using Notepad. I'll try it with TextPad or Notepad++ and let you know the results.
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

Notepad++ allowed me to see the line breaks.

No matter what I did, SCUMM games did not like that 'disable_dithering=true' was in program portion of the INI file. I ended up added the games through the GUI, and letting the program update the INI file. Now everything works perfectly.

Thanks for all your help!