Problems with Scummvm Windows 7 and Wii, please help

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

IInuyasha74

Problems with Scummvm Windows 7 and Wii, please help

Post by IInuyasha74 »

I have been using Scummvm for several years now and never had an issues with it at all. It has played every game I have tried on it perfectly and has never frozen or crashed before. I recently decided I would like to play a few more games such as Fatty Bear, The 7th Guest, Freddi Fish but now for the first time have trouble. I updated to Scummvm 1.5 and was able to start every game without issue and play them. They have sound, perfect graphics, no trouble at all, except I cannot save any of the games. On every game I have tried the Save button is grayed out. On most the load button is also grayed out, with the exception of The 7th Guest. I tried completely removing and reinstalling the game, deleting the scummvm.ini file, using versions 1.4.1 and 1.2.1. All of them are having the same problem. I tried Monkey Island as well, which is what I have mostly played on Scummvm, but it also has the no save issue now.

Not being able to figure this out, I decided to plug the Nintendo Wii up and use it which used to work just fine. I think I made a bad choice when I decided to update Scummvm on it as well to 1.5. Now it has similar problems, all games will load, but the controls aren't working properly. All I can do is open the keyboard, a menu to open some general settings such as control sensitivity, sound options, and I can open what looks like an Error Log. The Error Log mentioned Unsupported xmidi controller 114, and a ADlib error but the sound is working fine. I just don't have the option to open the in game menu to save the game or exit the game. The only way to exit the games is to shut off the Wii or click Quit in game, which on many games I can only access before starting the game.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix the problems. Google searches, searching the forum, different games, different versions of Scummvm, but nothing is working. I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me to fix these problems. Thank you.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Problems with Scummvm Windows 7 and Wii, please help

Post by eriktorbjorn »

IInuyasha74 wrote:I recently decided I would like to play a few more games such as Fatty Bear, The 7th Guest, Freddi Fish but now for the first time have trouble. I updated to Scummvm 1.5 and was able to start every game without issue and play them. They have sound, perfect graphics, no trouble at all, except I cannot save any of the games. On every game I have tried the Save button is grayed out. On most the load button is also grayed out, with the exception of The 7th Guest.
Not all games support reliably saving/loading from ScummVM's Load/Save/Options/Help/etc dialog. In those cases, the Load and/or Save buttons are disabled, and you have to use the game's own save/load mechanism. E.g. clicking at the top of the game screen in The 7th Guest to bring up its main menu, or pressing the S and L keys in Freddi Fish.
IInuyasha74

Post by IInuyasha74 »

I thought to try that for The 7th Guest on my PC, and saved the game. However, it later showed there were no saved games for me to load. I checked and and made sure all paths were correct and were not write protected, but still it did not work.

Also for Monkey Island I have played before using Scummvm and was able to save. Now with Scummvm 1.5 I cannot. Was there a change in Scummvm 1.5 making Monkey Island 1, 2, and 3 unable to save?

I will try this for the Humongous Entertainment games.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

IInuyasha74 wrote:Also for Monkey Island I have played before using Scummvm and was able to save. Now with Scummvm 1.5 I cannot. Was there a change in Scummvm 1.5 making Monkey Island 1, 2, and 3 unable to save?
Not that I know of. The only thing I can think of is if it's trying to save somewhere where it doesn't have permission to write, but you say it used to work. I don't run ScummVM under Windows myself, so I don't know how much my guesses would be worth at this point.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

IInuyasha74 wrote:I thought to try that for The 7th Guest on my PC, and saved the game. However, it later showed there were no saved games for me to load. I checked and and made sure all paths were correct and were not write protected, but still it did not work.

Also for Monkey Island I have played before using Scummvm and was able to save. Now with Scummvm 1.5 I cannot. Was there a change in Scummvm 1.5 making Monkey Island 1, 2, and 3 unable to save?

I will try this for the Humongous Entertainment games.
Do you use custom save paths when you mean you checked all paths were correct? The default save path has changed in 1.5.0 as you can read here. This could explain missing save games.
IInuyasha74

Post by IInuyasha74 »

I do use custom save paths. I retried using saving with The 7th Guest, and the HE games and now they are working, so is Monkey Island. I don't know how they got fixed, I just uninstalled Scummvm 1.2.1 and tried 1.5 again and now its working. It's very strange.

I still can't figure out how to get the controls to open on the Wii but it's less important and I will try a few more things I thought of to fix it. Thank you for your input on how to fix the problems.