in ScummVM how are games added/how exactly is it done

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Windows TV

in ScummVM how are games added/how exactly is it done

Post by Windows TV »

what do you need and how do you do it! i just wanna give it a try, see what i can do with moon base a little, and other games!

Just how to add scumm games that's it!
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Do you mean how to add games ScummVM already supports to the ScummVM GUI? That would be the "Add Game" button.

Or do you mean you want to extend ScummVM so that it supports games it doesn't already?

Since it seems you already used ScummVM, I assume you mean the latter (if you don't, you can stop reading here).

That would be far, far, far more complex.
Firstly, you should have a firm grasp of programming in general. If you don't, you should Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years.

Then, you should be pretty familiar with C and C++. Nice to have would be prior experience with (x86) Assembly, but that can be picked up if you're willing to learn (The Art of Assembly Language is pretty useful there, IMHO).

Then, you grab the freeware version of IDA, load up the binary of the game you want to reimplement, and get cracking for a long time, slowly analysing what the game does and rebuilding it piece by piece. Expect to half a year to several years on that, depending on the complexity of the game, your experience and the amount of time per day you put into it.
JenniBee

Re: in ScummVM how are games added/how exactly is it done

Post by JenniBee »

Windows TV wrote:what do you need and how do you do it! i just wanna give it a try, see what i can do with moon base a little, and other games!

Just how to add scumm games that's it!
To add a game to the ScummVM GUI, click on Add Game. Now navigate to the directory where you stored the game. Once you are in that directory, click choose. The game will be detected (in the case of Moonbase Commander as Moonbase Commander (Windows/English) (or whatever language game you own). Now click OK. Now all you have to do is navigate to the game in your GUI and click start.
Windows TV

Post by Windows TV »

yes, that's what i wanted to learn how to do is add game support or in this case add more support to moonbase commander!

and also possibly the new remake of PuttTime that came out from nimbus games (not the lite games)or i can ask for you to add support to PuttTime iOS (and plus it gives me multiple MD5's so ya)

anyway thanks!
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Or you could, you know, not do anything at all. Because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Windows TV

Post by Windows TV »

your right! i dont! well i guess cause moonbase was to complicated to work with i should put that to side i mean come on someone like me i dought i even get it correct!!

anyway about the PuttTime iOS game will that get supported? and do i need to provide my MD5's that the console show?

cause when i asked for support in spy fox i was asked to give the MD5s
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Read DrMcCoy's posts again. "Adding support" for a game means endless hours of dissassemblying its executable and trying to understand how it works. You need to know how to program, and you need to have a fairly good knowledge of C++, Assembly and a tool like IDA.

The MD5 checksums are used to distinguish one game from another. These are used when you point ScummVM to a directory and ScummVM tells you that game X has been found there. These have got nothing to do with the actual implementation needed for that game to actually work (which is what all the previous points refer to)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Actually, your version of PuttTime (Putt Putt Travels Through Time) could well become supported. In fact, it may already be in the latest daily build! (I'm not sure though, as I dont have that version of the game, but I recommend giving it a go!) Older releases of the game are definately supported after all!

In fact, as you stated, Nimbus Games' recent rerelease of Spy Fox on iOS (non-lite version) is already supported by ScummVM. (Along with some of their other non-lite Humongous Entertaimnent rereleases if I remember correctly!) I suspect support for your version is already planned, but maybe they do need the md5 from someone who has it, not sure.

I don't know who here is working on adding the Nimbus Games rereleases to the Humongous Entertaiment engine, but they may be able to help! :)
Last edited by Graxer on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Actually, based on these conversations (one of which it seems was with you) it looks like it may be clone2727 you want to speak to:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=11556
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=11565