Descumm tool

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

johncl

Descumm tool

Post by johncl »

Hi, I am trying to get Monkey Island EGA version into a more readable human format after going blind from looking at bytes in the files. :)

So I tried the DESCUMM tool that is part of the tool package. But when I try parameter -4 (which is the version for Monkey Island I only get back an "ERROR: Unknown script type!" message. :(

I also tried -1 and -2 which seems to start some script output but after a few lines stop with "unknown subop nnn". Btw I am using the lec files as input here. Perhaps that is wrong?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Descumm tool

Post by eriktorbjorn »

johncl wrote: I also tried -1 and -2 which seems to start some script output but after a few lines stop with "unknown subop nnn". Btw I am using the lec files as input here. Perhaps that is wrong?
It's not meant to be run on the game data files. Rather, you have to tell ScummVM to dump scripts as they are loaded by the game (with the -u or --dump-scripts command-line option). So it's more useful for debugging strange game behaviour than for studying an entire game.

I don't know if there are any tools available for dumping every script in the game, or anything like that.
johncl

Post by johncl »

Hm, but descumm.exe is a separate command line tool part of the toolkit download? The -u option is for the scummvm directly from what I can read in your answer? I tried that now but it doesnt seem to work.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

johncl wrote:Hm, but descumm is a separate tool part of the toolkit download? The -u option is for the scummvm directly from what I can read in your answer?
The -u option in ScummVM tells it that whenever it loads a script, it should also write it to a file, and those files are what descumm handles. (There may be other ways, but that's what I've been using occasionally.)
Davie Jones

Post by Davie Jones »

maybe you could try a tool (ScummPacker) from this site

http://www.jestarjokin.net/

i played with it but was not able to do what i wanted though i think i remember that it depacked Monkey Island 1 resources but i can't tell if i unpacked the EGA or the VGA version.