King's Quest Collection Trouble

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pezhead53

King's Quest Collection Trouble

Post by pezhead53 »

I recently obtained a copy of a King's Quest box set that seems to be called the "King's Quest Collection Series" (pictured below). I am trying to get the games running in ScummVM, but upon copying the files from their respective folders on the CD to my hard drive, it seems that speech audio files and some cutscenes (like KQ6's opening) are not working. I assume these files are stored elsewhere on the CD or on one of the two other CDs, but with my very limited technical prowess I couldn't locate them. If anyone could help solve this problem, I'd be very appreciative.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Some "collections" need to be installed first on the platform they are sold for, because some files are still packed togther in shield or cab packs (not sure if ScummVM knows those but i doubt it can decrunch them on the fly).
Happened to me with the PC 7-games King's Quest collection (Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry aswell btw)

See if ScummVM prints anything in the console upon playing the games.

You could post a list of files with size from the subdir of the game you think isn't working correctly.
Collector

Post by Collector »

The copy of KQ6 on CD1 is incomplete. It only has the files needed for installing the game to the hard drive. This was for the user to be able to install all of the games from the first disc. The games with speech required you to play with one of the other discs. The complete game is on disc 2 with KQ5.

Note that not all of the games are supported by ScummVM. You can also use the new installer for this collection to sort it out for you. It will automatically set the games to use DOSBox and ScummVM.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... ers.html#K
pezhead53

Post by pezhead53 »

Collector wrote:The copy of KQ6 on CD1 is incomplete. It only has the files needed for installing the game to the hard drive. This was for the user to be able to install all of the games from the first disc. The games with speech required you to play with one of the other discs. The complete game is on disc 2 with KQ5.

Note that not all of the games are supported by ScummVM. You can also use the new installer for this collection to sort it out for you. It will automatically set the games to use DOSBox and ScummVM.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... ers.html#K
This solution worked quite well, except for the fact it wont let me install the bonus game Mixed-Up Mother Goose which, according to the wiki, is supported by ScummVM.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

There are *several* versions of Mixed Up Mother Goose. The version in there is the 1995 Deluxe version, which is an SCI2 game, and therefor not supported yet.
Collector

Post by Collector »

pezhead53 wrote:This solution worked quite well, except for the fact it wont let me install the bonus game Mixed-Up Mother Goose which, according to the wiki, is supported by ScummVM.
That version of Mixed Up Mother Goose is the Deluxe version. It is a 16-bit Win only game. If you run the installer on x64 Windows, it will be disabled because it will not run natively, nor with DOSBox or ScummVM, so there is little point of copying the files to the hard drive. The option will be enabled on 32-bit Windows.
pezhead53

Post by pezhead53 »

Collector wrote: That version of Mixed Up Mother Goose is the Deluxe version. It is a 16-bit Win only game. If you run the installer on x64 Windows, it will be disabled because it will not run natively, nor with DOSBox or ScummVM, so there is little point of copying the files to the hard drive. The option will be enabled on 32-bit Windows.
Ah, my mistake. Thank you for all your help with this.