Can't switch back to fullscreen using alt-tab on winxp

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ExiE

Can't switch back to fullscreen using alt-tab on winxp

Post by ExiE »

Hey, I just tried new version of ScummVM 1.6 under WinXPSP3 and Lands of Lore game. I set the graphic to 3x, render mode - default and checked fullscreen option. The game started and everything worked fine until I have to switch back to Windows using Alt-Tab for a while.
First thing that I would like to know if there is a way how to set the scummvm to pause/stop the game when minimised or at least turn off the sound.
When I tried to return back to scummvm using Atl-Tab (i get the same result when cliked on scummvm task on taskbar) the screen opened black and after like 2 seconds switched back to windows. The music kept playing. I was unable to get back to the game. Any ideas what can be wrong? I also tried another game with same result.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

I dunno about WinXP, but it works fine on Win7. Just tried alt+tab on 4 random games with no prob
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Pasusing is an engine dependent function and the key can vary, though we try to use "P", Space or the Pause (Shared with Break) keys as the standards.

I have just tried these and they don't work in LOL.

Checking the Kyra engine source code shows no obvious support for pausing the engine. This is probably as it is a flexible scripted engine with most of the GUI being done in script, so adding pausing support would not be that easy if it was not originally present.

tl;dr IMHO you can't pause Lands of Lore or any other Kyra game.

As for the issue you describe, that sounds like an issue with the SDL graphics library and redrawing on your screen... This may vary with the Win32 SDL 2D Video backend in use by SDL i.e. WinDIB, DX9 etc. and thus isn't really in our control.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Can't switch back to fullscreen using alt-tab on winxp

Post by LordHoto »

ExiE wrote:Hey, I just tried new version of ScummVM 1.6 under WinXPSP3 and Lands of Lore game. I set the graphic to 3x, render mode - default and checked fullscreen option. The game started and everything worked fine until I have to switch back to Windows using Alt-Tab for a while.
First thing that I would like to know if there is a way how to set the scummvm to pause/stop the game when minimised or at least turn off the sound.
You can't have ScummVM automatically pause the game. But you can simply open up the global main menu (via Ctrl+F5) before you minimize ScummVM and it will pause the game and also pause the sound. This also works fine for Lands of Lore (and should also work for every other Kyra engine game).
ExiE wrote: When I tried to return back to scummvm using Atl-Tab (i get the same result when cliked on scummvm task on taskbar) the screen opened black and after like 2 seconds switched back to windows. The music kept playing. I was unable to get back to the game. Any ideas what can be wrong? I also tried another game with same result.
This is AFAIK a problem due to programs you use while running ScummVM: You can read more on it here.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Ah, sorry... mea culpa. I hadn't worked out that Kyra implements the advanced engine feature API for Pausing:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Advan ... se_support

Though there is no explicit key for pause in the engine, as LordHoto indicated, opening the global main menu will pause the engine (though this doesn't work for me, but this is probably another process grabbing the CTRL-F5).

LordHoto: That bug looks rather worrying... It doesn't look like it achieved a solution and the user seems very frustrated. Are we sure that this is the cause and it would be good if ExiE can confirm that closing Firefox and other running programs solves the problem for him...

ExiE: Could you please test this solution and see if it works please?
ExiE

Post by ExiE »

digitall wrote:Are we sure that this is the cause and it would be good if ExiE can confirm that closing Firefox and other running programs solves the problem for him...

ExiE: Could you please test this solution and see if it works please?
You were right. So far I found out the cause of my problem was KMPlayer MINIMISED in tray. If is KMPlayer windowed or in fullscreen mode, everything works fine.