michellefland
Banned

problem broken sword 1+2 on psx for scummvm

Post by michellefland »

hello

when I run both games french psx with scummvm
he said that in video is missing and mp2 file is not supported

Please help me with a tutorial with picture thank you in advance
Last edited by michellefland on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michellefland
Banned

Post by michellefland »

help my please quickly
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Ah, yes, the Broken Sword cutscenes...

The short version is that if all else fails, there are re-encoded versions of the cutscenes available on the ScummVM downloads page.

The longer version, if memory and the NEWS file serve me... The original PC versions used Smacker. From what I remember, it was still a commercially licensed video codec, and no one wanted to risk getting on Rad Game Tools's bad side so we didn't support it. Instead, we had permission to distribute re-encoded versions of the cutscenes. So that's what we did for ScummVM 0.6.0. These were originally lower-quality MPEG movies. The things ScummVM had to do to play them was, quite frankly, rather ugly. But it worked, and there was even a commercial re-release of the game that used ScummVM and MPEG movies.

ScummVM 0.9.0 added support for The Feeble Files, which also used Smacker for its cutscenes. However, the Amiga version used another format, called DXA, which was much better suited to ScummVM than MPEG was. It used 256 colours, where our MPEG movies used 16-bit colour, and the Smacker movies could be losslessly re-encoded, i.e. there was no degradation in quality. So for ScummVM 0.10.0, a DXA player was added to the Broken Sword engines as well, as well as new re-encoded movies.

By the time of ScummVM 1.0.0, a few years later, the Smacker format had been successfully reverse engineered (by the FFmpeg project, I think), and so ScummVM could finally support them as well. At this point, support for the MPEG movies was dropped.

For ScummVM 1.5.0, support was added for the cutscenes from the PlayStation movies. I'm afraid I know very little about these myself. I think you have to use special tools to dump them from the game discs. (But even when playing the PlayStation versions of the game, I believe the cutscenes from the PC version can be used.)

The upcoming ScummVM 1.7.0 will once again have support for the MPEG cutscenes. At this point, playback for them is no longer anywhere near as ugly as it used to be.
michellefland
Banned

Post by michellefland »

and please for the Playstation version of broken sword 1 and 2 how the work on scummvm with video reencode said exactly what I please thank you in advance

eriktorbjorn wrote:Ah, yes, the Broken Sword cutscenes...

The short version is that if all else fails, there are re-encoded versions of the cutscenes available on the ScummVM downloads page.

The longer version, if memory and the NEWS file serve me... The original PC versions used Smacker. From what I remember, it was still a commercially licensed video codec, and no one wanted to risk getting on Rad Game Tools's bad side so we didn't support it. Instead, we had permission to distribute re-encoded versions of the cutscenes. So that's what we did for ScummVM 0.6.0. These were originally lower-quality MPEG movies. The things ScummVM had to do to play them was, quite frankly, rather ugly. But it worked, and there was even a commercial re-release of the game that used ScummVM and MPEG movies.

ScummVM 0.9.0 added support for The Feeble Files, which also used Smacker for its cutscenes. However, the Amiga version used another format, called DXA, which was much better suited to ScummVM than MPEG was. It used 256 colours, where our MPEG movies used 16-bit colour, and the Smacker movies could be losslessly re-encoded, i.e. there was no degradation in quality. So for ScummVM 0.10.0, a DXA player was added to the Broken Sword engines as well, as well as new re-encoded movies.

By the time of ScummVM 1.0.0, a few years later, the Smacker format had been successfully reverse engineered (by the FFmpeg project, I think), and so ScummVM could finally support them as well. At this point, support for the MPEG movies was dropped.

For ScummVM 1.5.0, support was added for the cutscenes from the PlayStation movies. I'm afraid I know very little about these myself. I think you have to use special tools to dump them from the game discs. (But even when playing the PlayStation versions of the game, I believe the cutscenes from the PC version can be used.)

The upcoming ScummVM 1.7.0 will once again have support for the MPEG cutscenes. At this point, playback for them is no longer anywhere near as ugly as it used to be.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

michellefland wrote:and please for the Playstation version of broken sword 1 and 2 how the work on scummvm with video reencode said exactly what I please thank you in advance
See the game datafiles list on the wiki which points to a How To - Extract Playstation Videos.
michellefland
Banned

Post by michellefland »

ok thanks