Games being taken off my ScummVM games list

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Windows TV

Games being taken off my ScummVM games list

Post by Windows TV »

Randomly i keep loosing games on my ScummVM, and its not just one its like 10 it doesn't happen very often but it does.

Please help, is it just me and what im doing or bug?

Thank you.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Windows TV: *Sigh* What version of ScummVM are you using? What Operating System? What OS version? ...

I'm going to assume that you are using the latest v1.7.0git nightly build on Win32 as I suspect that is the case.

I don't know why this would be happening, but I'd suspect that either you have a malformed / corrupted ScummVM configuration file or we have a bug associated with a large games list or some other corner case of the configuration file I/O:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... ADME#L1946

I would suggest that you backup your current scummvm.ini configuration file as say 20131202-scummvm-1.7.0git4286-g627716a-old.ini, remove this file from the normal location and start ScummVM to generate a new blank configuration file.

Then add all of your games either using the Mass Add or one by one manually and save the resulting ini file as say 20131202-scummvm-1.7.0git4286-g627716a-new-cleanstart.ini.

Then at least daily as you add and remove games, backup the configuration file as say 20131203-scummvm-1.7.0git4286-g627716a.ini, updating the date and the version of ScummVM as needed.

With an archive of configuration files and a differencing tool such as http://meldmerge.org/ , it should be possible to spot any "lost" game entries and spot a pattern.

The optimal would be to provide a bug replication case i.e. a configuration file, which you start with ScummVM and then close and you can then show that the file afterwards has lost a specific entry. We can then work out why and what the bug may be.

Note, that switching between versions of ScummVM _COULD_ result in these kinds of issues, though I have never encountered this myself on Linux.

Without this kind of evidence and a bug replication case, we can't proceed to locate the issue. It may even be related to Windows being "Smart" and restoring the configuration file from a backup silently... But the archived daily copies would show this.
Windows TV

Post by Windows TV »

first of i'd like to say sorry if i did something wrong to make you sigh in your response.

But, uh, yes im using ScummVM v1.7.0git, Operating System Windows XP, and OS version..um..XP service pack 3.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

The sigh was due to the fact that the questions for the missing ScummVM version, Platform, OS version etc. are the most basic information we need to look at any bug and are documented on the top of the bug reporting page and here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... rting_bugs

But I still keep having to repeat the same mantra of "What version of ScummVM are you using? What Operating System? What OS version?" to users...

Thank you for providing a response. I have outlined a course of action for you to diagnose the cause of this and provide a bug replication case. If you want this fixed, then you will need to do this.