Dumb question about Dev-C++ (DevCPP) compiling

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

theruler

Dumb question about Dev-C++ (DevCPP) compiling

Post by theruler »

Hi, I want to build win32 version (on a Windows 7 x64 machine)
I have no problems with MinGW+Msys compiling but I have with devCPP.
Wiki page (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Compi ... mVM/DevCPP) is a little cloudy on that matter. What exactly should I do to compile the code?
Could someone tell me the steps to ./configure and make via DevCPP?

Another Question, Is there a way to completely disable portions of the trunk? I mean, what should I modify to remove video codecs or themes code for instance?
Also is it possible to enable a scummvm command line only (without GUI)?

I am trying to make the tiniest exe supporting a single engine (SAGA) and themes or other unnecessary code keep my file large. I can't go under 2.8MB size.
1.7.0 git stripped and packed with upx.

Thanks.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

The wiki page on DevCPP compilation is not cloudy, it very clear saying "(TODO)" :-)

DevCPP is not a very well supported solution. Since it uses the MinGW toolchain at the backend, it should be possible to create an IDE project in it to build ScummVM, but scummvm/devtools/create_project does not currently have code to generate the IDE project file automatically and neither are any files present for this in scummvm/dists.

IIRC, this is a very old solution and since most developers on Win32 use MinGW and a good editor like Notepad++ or MSVC / Visual Studio, I would not recommend using DevCPP. If you want to do so, you are on your own setting this up as we have no experience here.

If you wish to disable / enable various parts of the code, there is some provision for this. See "./configure --help" for details, especially the --disable-all-engines --enable-engine=<X> options and the themes can be reduced to purely the built-in theme which is cut down. Some video codecs are disabled if the associated engines are not compiled in. No, there is no option to easily disable the GUI currently and some functions of it such as adding games are not possible from the command-line anyway.

I'm not sure you are explaining yourself correctly in this:
"I am trying to make the tiniest exe supporting a single engine (SAGA) and themes or other unnecessary code keep my file large. I can't go under 2.8MB size.
1.7.0 git stripped and packed with upx. "

Are you sure you mean _under_ ... and packing with upx is not advisable as it can adversely affect the timing of operation with embedded resource datafiles on Win32.

To be candid, what are you intending to achieve here? Since if you want to use a Win32 build, then just use the normal release v1.6.0 zip file build or a nightly build... or compile your own with MinGW... but I am unsure why you want the smallest size of executable? If the intention is to fit this on a floppy disk (2.88Mb maximum on High Density) floppy, then you may want to instead investigate ways of doing serial data transfer over RS232 or similar to older machine with Direct Data Connection (Win95) or other solution such as Laplink or similar open source solutions for FreeDOS...
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It does seem like DevCPP has gone the way of the dodo. When I started tinkering with programming and compiling sources I started with it as it was an easy package to put together, but I soon after abandoned it because of lack of support and headaches. MinGW works easy enough.