Freddy Pharkas floppy version

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mudpuppy

Freddy Pharkas floppy version

Post by mudpuppy »

I have the floppy version of Freddy Pharkas, which I'd like to play on my Mac.

I first tried installing it in DOSBox.
I made floppy images (.img files) of all 6 floppies and transferred them to the Mac. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to unmount and remount the contents of the A: drive in the current version of DOSBox, and floppies 2 through 6 each have a file named resource.000 which is different on the different disks, so I can't just copy all the files on the floppies to one folder for installation.

&%#$%!!!

Then I saw Freddy Pharkas was supported on ScummVM.
"Great!" I thought, "Now I can play it without that ugly dithering."
Unfortunately it seems to be one of those games where you have to copy everything over -- and at least with the floppy version there is that same problem of different resource.000 files wanting to overwrite each over when copied.

&%#$%!!! again

I'm guessing that in order to get the game working on the Mac, I have to install it on some computer that has a floppy drive and either DOSBox or actual DOS installed using the actual floppy disks (chunk... chunk... chunk... splorrrk...what a PITA...), then copy the game folder and transfer it to the Mac, and MAYBE I'll be able to point ScummVM at it and get it to work.

Is there really no better way of doing this?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Use Boxer, a very nice and friendly frontend for DosBox, to install the game. It allows you to mount and unmount floppydisks during install(and yes, dosbox supports this as well), or mount each img as a separate floppy drive.

http://boxerapp.com/
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Re: Freddy Pharkas floppy version

Post by m_kiewitz »

mudpuppy wrote:"Great!" I thought, "Now I can play it without that ugly dithering."
Undithering is only supported for the older EGA-only Sierra 16-color games (SCI0 to SCI1EGA). Freddy Pharkas is a SCI1.1 VGA game. Which already uses 256 colors.
Unfortunately it seems to be one of those games where you have to copy everything over -- and at least with the floppy version there is that same problem of different resource.000 files wanting to overwrite each over when copied.
You could try to merge all those resource.000 files together. It works for some Sierra games. I just checked my own version of Freddy Pharkas. It seems as if Sierra did something special to that one, but maybe it will work for yours.

I don't know how to do that on Mac though. Using DOS "copy disk1\resource.000+disk2\resource.000+disk3\resource.000 resource.000" would do the trick.

What you could also try is to run DOS-Box on Mac, create a temporary directory and then mount that directory as a floppy drive in DOS-Box by using:

mount B: [path] -t floppy

This will make the installation program think that it's running from a floppy drive and allow installation. You can then start installation and when it asks for another floppy, just delete the files from that directory and copy the contents of the corresponding floppy into the directory. This worked with my Freddy Pharkas version.

You could do this on Windows as well of course and then copy the installed files to your Mac as well.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Freddy Pharkas floppy version

Post by criezy »

m_kiewitz wrote:I don't know how to do that on Mac though. Using DOS "copy disk1\resource.000+disk2\resource.000+disk3\resource.000 resource.000" would do the trick.
That would be

Code: Select all

cat disk1/resource.000 disk2/resource.000 disk3/resource.000 > resource.000