virtual keyboard windows version scummvm

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Hendrik78: Thanks for the feedback. This feature is currently very beta. We can look at a smaller version of the keyboard at some point as I think this is configurable by the keyboard pack.

On a related note, there is some negativity on the scummvm-devel thread to adding this feature by default to the Win32 build:
http://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/mailma ... /32232766/

The main argument seems to be:
"The facilities available on Windows (whether built-in or downloaded) far surpass what we do or can offer. They should use that instead.

Not to mention we obviously draw over the game. An external one won't"

Can you answer this question? Is there any specific reason why you are not using an external virtual keyboard program for ScummVM?
Hendrik78

Post by Hendrik78 »

digitall wrote: The main argument seems to be:
"The facilities available on Windows (whether built-in or downloaded) far surpass what we do or can offer. They should use that instead.

Not to mention we obviously draw over the game. An external one won't"

Can you answer this question? Is there any specific reason why you are not using an external virtual keyboard program for ScummVM?
The reason is that you can't play full screen whith an external one which I really don't like.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Hendrik78: Thanks. I suspected that might be the reason. Will respond to the development list e-mail, but I can't guarantee this will be implemented as that will depend on whether there are any blockers and the Win32 porter being happy with this.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

digitall wrote:On a related note, there is some negativity on the scummvm-devel thread to adding this feature by default to the Win32 build
I'd be in favor of ripping the entire code out and starting from scratch at this point :) (Seriously, it's horrible. It's disabled by default for a reason. It's not used for iOS or Android for a reason. Hint: It's the same reason.)
Hendrik78 wrote:The reason is that you can't play full screen whith an external one which I really don't like.
Using the default Windows 7 one, maybe. It should work in fullscreen in 8. It definitely should if you use a different external one. They will all be better than what we can roll out. Just Googling for one yields results that will do exactly what you need.
Hendrik78

Post by Hendrik78 »

clone2727 wrote:
digitall wrote:
Hendrik78 wrote:The reason is that you can't play full screen whith an external one which I really don't like.
Using the default Windows 7 one, maybe. It should work in fullscreen in 8. It definitely should if you use a different external one. They will all be better than what we can roll out. Just Googling for one yields results that will do exactly what you need.
Thanks. I go look.
Hendrik78

Post by Hendrik78 »

I looked but most games seem to block this.
Hendrik78

Post by Hendrik78 »

clone2727 wrote:Just Googling for one yields results that will do exactly what you need.
I don't know what you found, but I can't find anything about virtual keyboards that can go fullscreen.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

A very quick search: http://freevirtualkeyboard.com/ (Completely untested, of course)
Hendrik78

Post by Hendrik78 »

digitall

Is it possible for you to resize the virtual keyboard? It takes up half the screen in KQ4.

I couldn't find a suitable virtual keyboard. I found one that worked somewhat but not great.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Will take a look at modifying the keyboard size in a new pack file in my branch and then producing another special build for you to test with...
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

It is a quick fix, but the following should work for 640x480+ games i.e. SQ4 etc:
https://github.com/digitall/scummvm/com ... 3f64e51b68

This does not require a new ScummVM build and should work fine with the one you have. You will need the new small keyboard pack file from here:
https://github.com/digitall/scummvm/raw ... _small.zip

Copy this to the same location as the vkeybd_default.zip is picked up from and then set the scummvm.ini parameter as per notes in the commit message:
https://github.com/digitall/scummvm/com ... 3f64e51b68

It should then work... Let me know how you get on.
Hendrik78

Post by Hendrik78 »

This is working very well. I'm really satisfied.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Glad to hear this. Will look at adding the small keyboard to the master as another option as that shouldn't be contentious.
Hendrik78

Post by Hendrik78 »

It's been a long time but I played around with this again.

Now I found the keyboard is invisible with graphics filters enabled. Is this fixable?