Steam games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jms jams

Post by jms jams »

I added ticket number 6678. Sorry cannot post a direct link as I just registered. Please let me know if further testing is needed.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

I had this happen on MacOS too. To get it to run, put the LOOM executable from the MacOS folder with the other files in resources and it will load fine (this works with all of the Steam games).
jms jams

Post by jms jams »

Thanks. That works great.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

This is because ScummVM expect the user to select Loom.app when adding the game and not the Contents folder. The issue is that you can only select forlders when adding games, and on a mac Loom.app does not appear to be a folder.

The solution proposed by JenniBee (put the executable with the resource files and select the resources folder when adding the game) works. Another way to make this work is to rename Loom.app to remove the .app extension. As a result Loom now appears to be a normal folder and you can select it when adding the game.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I made a change today so that now we can directly select the app bundle for the LucasArts steam mac game when adding the game in ScummVM. There is no more need to fiddle with the content of the bundle.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

criezy wrote:I made a change today so that now we can directly select the app bundle for the LucasArts steam mac game when adding the game in ScummVM. There is no more need to fiddle with the content of the bundle.
You are cracking the Steam bundle?!?! That is against the ScummVM guidelines! Please ask Eugene (sev), he will be against it. Fishing out files from a bundle is not allowed here!
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9628
Please do not go against our team decision. Hiding those files looks plainly like attempt to prevent ScummVM from running. We have no intentions to play with that. Eugene
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Lebostein wrote: You are cracking the Steam bundle?!?! That is against the ScummVM guidelines! Please ask Eugene (sev), he will be against it. Fishing out files from a bundle is not allowed here!
You can find the discussion about it in the scummvm-devel mailing list archive, including this message.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

Cool. The ScummVM Team soften their guidelines! Well we hope that Disney does not notice them.

What about detection of self made SCUMM-Games (ScummC) now? Is the way free to implement this now? See here: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=13512
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Levostein: Apart from those issues, the patch for modifying the SCUMM engine detector is very outdated. If someone works on making it or a updated fallback type detector for fangames for the SCUMM engine and opens this as a Pull Request, then it will be seriously considered.
shmerl

Post by shmerl »

I really hope Loom and other LucasArts games will be properly released on GOG DRM-free. GOG even made an office in LA to push negotiations forward.

For those of us who don't use Steam, that would be a breakthrough.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

shmerl wrote:For those of us who don't use Steam, that would be a breakthrough.
eBay? Amazon? It's not Steam or the highway...
shmerl

Post by shmerl »

clone2727 wrote:
shmerl wrote:For those of us who don't use Steam, that would be a breakthrough.
eBay? Amazon? It's not Steam or the highway...
E-bay and Amazon are workarounds, but quite bad ones. Especially considering that prices on such games are high there since they are sold as collector's items. For now that can work for those who don't own these games yet, but it's not a proper workaround in the long term anyway, since these games aren't produced in physical form anymore, therefore their supply is limited (so prices are only going to grow).

So, I really hope GOG will succeed to revive them DRM-free in pure digital form.