Broken Sword (speech.clu incompatibility)...

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

artphotodude

Broken Sword (speech.clu incompatibility)...

Post by artphotodude »

Just installed from original Mac discs (surprised how easy it actually was!), and also compressed the music to mp3 - sounds great, but there is a problem that concerns me - character speech is occasionally messed-up. Like the waitress in the cafe, at the start - everything she says is garbled like static? is this a driver issue? Or is the speech.clu file damaged? BTW - just tested it in my old OS9 Mac, and it all sounded fine. Is there a work around?

Thanks!

P.S. Just to verify, the DXA files are no longer needed for this or Sword II???
Last edited by artphotodude on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword I Speech Problem...

Post by md5 »

artphotodude wrote:P.S. Just to verify, the DXA files are no longer needed for this or Sword II???
Nope, they are no longer needed. You can use the original Smacker or MPEG-2 videos.
artphotodude

Re: Broken Sword I Speech Problem...

Post by artphotodude »

md5 wrote:
artphotodude wrote:P.S. Just to verify, the DXA files are no longer needed for this or Sword II???
Nope, they are no longer needed. You can use the original Smacker or MPEG-2 videos.
••UPDATE - just replaced the speech.clu files with those from another copy of the game (the PC version) and it is doing the same thing - is there a possible problem with either OSX or ScummVM 1.7 with .clu files? Also, tried the Playstation 1 version of the game, and it didn't have the problem - worked fine (just looked like crap, because was from the Playstation ;0) Is IDENTICAL to this Person's problem =>> http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0 Did this ever get sorted-out or fixed?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

From what I understand, the speech files for the Mac version of Broken Sword I can store the audio data in either big- or little endian format, and ScummVM tries to determine which by looking at a selection of samples. Perhaps it's misidentifying the files?

I don't have the Mac version of the game, so I have no idea what to do about it.
artphotodude

Post by artphotodude »

eriktorbjorn wrote:From what I understand, the speech files for the Mac version of Broken Sword I can store the audio data in either big- or little endian format, and ScummVM tries to determine which by looking at a selection of samples. Perhaps it's misidentifying the files?

I don't have the Mac version of the game, so I have no idea what to do about it.
If I post one of the speech.clu files to dropbox, would that help?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

That wouldn't be legal.
artphotodude

Post by artphotodude »

DrMcCoy wrote:That wouldn't be legal.
Had not thought of that, but I suppose it is so! Anyway, in the meantime, have tried both the speech.clu files from the Mac and new DVD/PC versions and neither works. This is clearly a problem with the OSX version of ScummVM.

Strange, though as it has not happened with the other games I play on it.