The feasibility of music replacement in Putt-Putt Zoo

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Alphaleon

The feasibility of music replacement in Putt-Putt Zoo

Post by Alphaleon »

If I wanted to replace each track of digital music in Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo, how would I go about that? Is it possible to replace each music track (which are highly compressed, lo-fi digital) with 48khz FLAC (or even 44.1 320kbps MP3) of equal lengths for similar transitions?

I imagine extreme lag could be a side-effect of this, as the engine and resources race to keep up with such a high volume of data.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

The engine is hardcoded to play the data back as 11khz wav. Later versions, like in Pajama Sam's Games to Play, use the Miles engine to play back higher quality files, and presumably you could put any data in those files. But I reckon you'd need the source codes to upgrade the engine version! (Like in rerelease versions.) Lucasarts games have higher quality audio. I think they must have a different sound engine.

Maybe... MAYBE, you could change the scummvm source code to support different audio... good luck there! :lol:
Alphaleon

Post by Alphaleon »

I see. Thanks George. It does look like making a custom build of ScummVM itself would be the more doable answer, but it's still out of my reach. Perhaps one day.