Simon The Sorcerer 2 Audio Eng + Sub Ita

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

George Stobbart

Simon The Sorcerer 2 Audio Eng + Sub Ita

Post by George Stobbart »

Hello
I'm trying to run Simon The Sorcerer 2 version with Audio English and Italian Subtitles, but I can not. The version with subtitles in Italian does not have English audio. AmigaCd32 version has English audio, but not Italian subtitles (although there is a file italian, german and english sub. Work only English subtitles) . How do I play Simon The Sorcerer 2 in Audio English and Italian subtitles?
Thank You :)
George Stobbart

Can you help? :D
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

George Stobbart wrote:AmigaCd32 version has English audio, but not Italian subtitles (although there is a file italian, german and english sub. Work only English subtitles)
Have you tried to rename "simon2.italian" (that's what the subtitle file is called in my version) to "simon2.english" and vice versa?

I have the Windows version and this hack doesn't work, but maybe it will for your version?

I'm not sure if using english speech with foreign subtitles is supported in the Simon games

EDIT:
Actually i was wrong, i have the Amiga AGA/Gfx conversion of Simon 2 which consists of the Windows data and added subtitles (simon2.german, simon2.english, simon2.french, simon2.italian) which doesn't seem to be picked up.

I even found my bug report about it :-)

And a nice summary by Kirben
The dictionary files used by the Amiga & Macintosh versions of Simon the Sorcerer 2 aren't supported, and are unlikely to be supported anytime soon. They contain the complete subtitles for the game in multiple languages, but in an unknown random order.
The other data files are identical to the Windows port, other than difference in speech files, which is already auto detected by ScummVM.
That is why we have not added specific detection entries, and they won't be added until dictionary support is possible in the future.
Closing as later.
George Stobbart

Hello :)
Thanks for the reply, I understand the problem, I hope in the future we can have Audio English and Italian subtitles together.
Thank you for all that you do. :D
Greetings from Italy.

Marcello
Amigadventurer

Post by Amigadventurer »

You should consider another problem with Simon 2: if you try to run it with both audio and subtitles enabled (whatever the language) the audio is quite often cut-off before sentences are complete.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Amigadventurer wrote:You should consider another problem with Simon 2: if you try to run it with both audio and subtitles enabled (whatever the language) the audio is quite often cut-off before sentences are complete.
That should be an original game engine bug IIRC. The original never allowed you to enable both at once. I thought we nowadays do not allow this either, but not sure right now.
Amigadventurer

Post by Amigadventurer »

Thanks. Yes, it'a problem with the original game. Neither Simon 1/2 allowed that for some strange reason (I'd really love to know why from Adventuresoft 8) ). ScummVM allows it (tested Simon 2, not the first) but the audio cut-off is too annoying to ignore.