Are there plans to expand the list of compatable games?/ LBA

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Graxer

Post by Graxer »

George22 wrote:There is a patch with code from the twin-e project for Little Big Adventure support in ScummVM. The game should run with it but I did not test it.
Cool! I dont know what to do with the diff file though. I wish it was officially supported, that way the support would hopefully be improved. (ScummVM seems odd for a 3D game like LBA though)
aquadran wrote:I found twin-e has completable game support.
And fitd has also completable state for alone in the dark 1.
Alone in the dark 2 is only playable.
So they looks good.
Does this mean you are now considering future support if ResidualVM spans out since the twin-e and FITD engines are available?
George22

Post by George22 »

Graxer wrote:ScummVM seems odd for a 3D game like LBA though.
It is only pseudo 3D but still patch was not for that reason accepted. But I believe that it would be nice addition to ResidualVM. :)
Kerbox wrote:Seems unlikely we will get source for Noir in the near future, and the license for the game is a bit murky. But the possibility of support for the game is good in my opinion, until I hit upon a big hurdle at least. The core engine looks very similar, and Chris Bateman indicated to me that it was indeed just an extension of the original tinsel engine. So I'm hopeful.
Glad to hear it, it is very good news. :D
Atrus

Post by Atrus »

What about The Longest Journey engine?
garrythefish

Post by garrythefish »

Atrus wrote:What about The Longest Journey engine?
Unlike Perfect Entertainment, Sierra, the Jolly Ol' Spirit of LucasArts etc., Funcom is pretty much alive and if they are A-ok with the idea of the ResidualVM team adding support to The Longest Journey, we again have a fundamental problem. :(

There is a need of someone willing do the mountains of coding in order that something like that would happen.

From the original source code, if its providable that is, or otherwise with reverse engineering, it's tons of work all the same and it might happen in the future, but ONLY if someone wants to invest his time and patience to such a challenge. :!:

I, as an adventure game loon, would like to see this happen more than anyone, but I think I'm aware of the reality of such a request to happen. A new thread on this might be opened, so it could be discussed a bit more if someone is interested. :wink:
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

New here. Great to see ResidualVM get a website and forums. Looking forward to the development.

Another couple games that could be included for potential compatibility are Star Trek: Hidden Evil and Men In Black: The Game. Although I haven't played Men in Black and am not sure if it's a true adventure, but it is the same interface and graphic style as Grim and Monkey4.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Star Trek: Hidden Evil
That games uses Presto's Sprint Engine, which was also used in The Journeyman Project 3, Myst 3, and Whacked. Possibly Stephen King's F13 too (I'm not sure). JMP3/Myst3 might be doable -- I know the file format already. Maybe after Mohawk. :P
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Did any of those games have 3D elements? I'm just wondering as I didn't think Myst 3 had any 3D but if they all use the same engine.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Ezekiel000 wrote:Did any of those games have 3D elements? I'm just wondering as I didn't think Myst 3 had any 3D but if they all use the same engine.
Myst 3 is 3D. It's like a bubble. It has a JPEG wrapped around a sphere.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Ah right. I was being stupid and only thinking of 3D objects rather than the whole view, it's one step up from Zork Grand Inquisitor. Did Riven use cylindrical views like ZGI or was it like Myst?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Ezekiel000 wrote:Did Riven use cylindrical views like ZGI or was it like Myst?
Riven's like Myst.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

And while we're on the topic of Myst, the Plasma Engine (the engine behind realMyst, Uru, Uru Live, and Myst V) is becoming open source. Or at least the version behind Uru/Uru Live. RealMyst uses an earlier form of the engine and Myst V uses a later one. Possibly another target for ResidualVM in the future :wink: Though, probably not the live part :wink:

(Myst IV uses yet another engine, one that UbiSoft has AFAIK.)
MusicallyInspired

clone2727 wrote:
That games uses Presto's Sprint Engine, which was also used in The Journeyman Project 3, Myst 3, and Whacked. Possibly Stephen King's F13 too (I'm not sure). JMP3/Myst3 might be doable -- I know the file format already. Maybe after Mohawk. :P
But Hidden Evil isn't a first person game. It's a 3D adventure in the style of Alone in the Dark/Grim Fandango/Escape From Monkey Island (3D Models in front of 2D backgrounds). Nothing like Myst 3 or Journeyman Project 3. Sure you're not confusing it with another game?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:
clone2727 wrote:
But Hidden Evil isn't a first person game. It's a 3D adventure in the style of Alone in the Dark/Grim Fandango/Escape From Monkey Island (3D Models in front of 2D backgrounds). Nothing like Myst 3 or Journeyman Project 3. Sure you're not confusing it with another game?
No, it's still the same engine. Just a later revision.
MusicallyInspired

Interesting. Was there any other 3rd person games that used that engine?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Yeah, Whacked! (the Xbox game) did. Stephen King's F13 (a series of minigames) was Presto's other game during this time period. Not sure if that uses it though.

I'm guessing the Journeyman Project 4 would have used this engine too :P