Mac bundle

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MeddlingMonk

Mac bundle

Post by MeddlingMonk »

First, nice start on the gui. Brings back old memories of the early days of the ScummVM gui.

Anyway, there's a problem on the Mac side as far as making the bundle. The bundle gets created with all the sub-folders, but none of the files get copied into the bundle. At least, this is what happens on a PPC Mac. Maybe someone with an Intel Mac can check whether a proper bundle is or isn't made on that platform. The build is actually fine and runs from terminal.
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Post by aquadran »

I'll check that too, after I adopt configure script as I noted in other reply here.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Lemme know if you build a PPC version, I would like it.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Aquadran, would any build I personally make be usable on other computers or is ResidualVM more like Exult than ScummVM in that respect right now?

Jon God, it's actually pretty easy (usually) to compile software...once you're done the arduous work of setting up the environment. And I actually have a current SVN build of ResidualVM as an app bundle, made by compiling as normal and manually substituting my PPC binary for the Intel binary in the bundle available on the ResidualVM website. But I don't know if it's static or dynamic, hence my question to aquadran, and if it's dynamic the bundle will only work on a computer set up exactly like mine.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MeddlingMonk wrote:Jon God, it's actually pretty easy (usually) to compile software...once you're done the arduous work of setting up the environment. And I actually have a current SVN build of ResidualVM as an app bundle, made by compiling as normal and manually substituting my PPC binary for the Intel binary in the bundle available on the ResidualVM website. But I don't know if it's static or dynamic, hence my question to aquadran, and if it's dynamic the bundle will only work on a computer set up exactly like mine.
Using "make bundle" will create a static binary, however it will have zlib as dynamic (meaning it won't work on 10.2.8; aquadran broke this a few months ago, I guess because 10.6 changed some zlib things).

The ScummVM wiki has instructions on making the ScummVM universal binary, it should be about the same.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I could never get my head around ScummVM's universal build instructions. It would be probably be easier to understand if I had an Intel Mac in addition to my PPC Mac, but I'm too poor right now for a new Mac. :(

Anyway, 'make bundle' doesn't work currently on a PPC Mac, anyway; but I wonder why the Mac Subversion build in the downloads section is Intel only rather than universal (ditto for ScummVM having separate Intel and PPC builds instead of universal, come to mention it).
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MeddlingMonk wrote:Anyway, 'make bundle' doesn't work currently on a PPC Mac, anyway; but I wonder why the Mac Subversion build in the downloads section is Intel only rather than universal (ditto for ScummVM having separate Intel and PPC builds instead of universal, come to mention it).
What happens on a PPC Mac when using make bundle? For svn, I recommend compiling your own (which is what I did on my old PPC Mac).
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I posted a bug report in the tracker a while back about about the make bundle problem, so saying more about that here would be redundant. And I attached the failed bundle so anyone can see exactly what I end up with.

I should add, though, that ResidualVM is the only thing where making the bundle fails; I can't attribute this to something generally wrong.

(And, probably obvious from all the above, I do make my own builds.)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

There's no way that it could work under current conditions; the Info.plist file doesn't exist. I'll go comment on the bug report.

EDIT: Bah, stupid sf.net. I'm not able to comment on a bug report that's not owned by me (in a project I'm not a developer).

Info.plist.in is there, which I assume is the file that Info.plist should be generated from. However, looking at ScummVM's files, they should be identical.

Changing line 50 of ports.mk from

Code: Select all

cp $(srcdir)/dists/macosx/Info.plist $(bundle_name)/Contents/
to

Code: Select all

cp $(srcdir)/dists/macosx/Info.plist.in $(bundle_name)/Contents/Info.plist
should work. I'll go try on my Mac later (10.6.2).
Last edited by zino on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

clone2727 wrote:I'll go try on my Mac later (10.6.2).
Which means an Intel Mac. I should try what you're trying myself and see if it works on my PPC Mac. Supposing it works for you when you try, it ought to work for me, but no harm in trying myself right now.

-------

OK, it's later now and what you posted didn't work. You probably have discovered this yourself by now, but you should have had -R rather than -T. With that little fix it worked fine.

(I'm not a coder at all and don't really understand a lot of this stuff, but from the error message it was kind of obvious you'd committed a simple typo.)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MeddlingMonk wrote:OK, it's later now and what you posted didn't work. You probably have discovered this yourself by now, but you should have had -R rather than -T. With that little fix it worked fine.
I was wrong, there shouldn't be any -R/-T. -R is recursive, -T means nothing. Serves me right for querying Google instead of using "man cp" in the Terminal :wink:
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

OK, so scratch -R. Didn't do any harm, though, in the circumstances.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I've added a comment to my bug report on what the fix for this problem apparently is.