PS3 port?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CavemanzZ

PS3 port?

Post by CavemanzZ »

Hello,

I was wondering if its possible for a ps3 port of residual?

Or is the PC version not good enough yet to warrent a port.

I cant code, in anyway at all, but would like to contribute in some so that in the forseeable future there will be working versions of residual, which can play Grim Fandango on both the PS3 and PSP.

Is there anything i can do, and i dont mean donate, id like to actually do something, on a daily basis, like testing or anything else.

I for one am willing to put in the time to get this project fully working. Its just a shame i cant code anything at all.

I really hope this project ends up with succesful ports on many systems. I just wish i could activly speed it up.

Whatever the case, just know there are people out there that appreciate all the work thats being done on getting this working. Im one of them.

Thanks
CavemanzZ

Post by CavemanzZ »

lol, i was just going through the forum and found a post by me from ages ago that i had forgotten about.

I was basically saying the same thing, except about the psp only and not the ps3.

People there suggested i learn the code and do it myself. That seems like such a big task. Ive never coded anything in my life, i couldnt even make a working version of pong.

Hyperthetically then, just so i could see if doing this myself would be possible, (id be amazed and thrilled if it was), what would i need skill wise to realistically add to this project, or maybe port the current one to the ps3 or psp.

What coding language would i need to learn, and how do i go about learning it. Are there books with exercises like at university or whatever?

Any info or help is appreciated.

If i can see this being possible, i will definatly try. I dont see it being likely though.

Thanks
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

For ResidualVM/ScummVM you need to be comfortable with the C++ programming language.
From a programming "noob" to someone who can comprehend other peoples C++ code is a step far to big to take in one go though.

I would suggest starting with Java and make your own Tic-tac-toe game, or something like that. Any kind of "Java for beginners" type of book can help you with that.
If you find yourself enjoying it, you can slowly move to less forgiving languages and bigger projects.

The key is enjoying building stuff and having free time.