Current status and stable release estimate

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nathanel.mori

Current status and stable release estimate

Post by nathanel.mori »

I'm surprised that this question isn't raised a lot in this forum so I'll ask it myself.

What is the current status for ResidualVM? There hasn't been an update in over half a year!

Is the project "stuck" or has there been progress since?

When do you assume a reasonably stable release will be out for the first time?

Thanks!
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

The latest subversion build available on the downloads page was created on Febuary the 4th this year. (Which is less than a month ago) I think its fair to assume that progress is not "stuck" per se, it's just slow.

Remember that, unlike ScummVM, ResidualVM only currently has one engine implemented. Due to this we probably shouldn't expect frequent updates. There are still occasional updates in the forums about the progress of the Little Big Adventure engine. This may be added at some point.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Even though only one game is supported currently, something analogous to ScummVM's compatibility page would be very useful for people checking in on the project. I peek in on ResidualVM every few months to see if Grim Fandango is completable yet.

I suspect that sort of thing also subtly motivates developers to make sure already-kinda-supported games work well rather than adding new ones.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

JPL wrote:Even though only one game is supported currently, something analogous to ScummVM's compatibility page would be very useful for people checking in on the project. I peek in on ResidualVM every few months to see if Grim Fandango is completable yet.

I suspect that sort of thing also subtly motivates developers to make sure already-kinda-supported games work well rather than adding new ones.
If you go to this page you can check for any changes made to the project:

http://cia.vc/stats/project/residual

As you can see, the last update was on August the 9th, meaning there has been no recorded progress in over 3 months. I can't help but feel that it will be a very long time until Grim Fandango is completable.

Also, there is already a ResidualVM compatibility page:

http://www.residualvm.org/compatibility/
JPL

Post by JPL »

Splendid, thanks.
RetroScurvy

Post by RetroScurvy »

A stable build can't come fast enough for me. Grim Fandango on the mac has had my high hope for the last two years! Just so you know, there are people waiting for this! I say in case you thought there weren't. No pressure. I can be patient.
num421337

Post by num421337 »

wow i'm really impressed with what you guys did with the scummvm and seeing that a grime engine might be in the works is pretty awesome. i just hope that monkey island can get over 1% lol. I also hope that an ipod version comes out. I love having scummvm on my ipod
mintcake

Post by mintcake »

num421337 wrote:wow i'm really impressed with what you guys did with the scummvm and seeing that a grime engine might be in the works is pretty awesome. i just hope that monkey island can get over 1% lol. I also hope that an ipod version comes out. I love having scummvm on my ipod
i wouldnt get your hopes up, developement on this is dead as far as I can tell.
Its a shame really as Grim fandango is one of my all time fav games and being able to run it on my new hardware would be truely awesome....but it aint gonna happen!