Help with slow performance

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jepael

Help with slow performance

Post by jepael »

ResidualVM installs and starts the game OK, but I get very slow frame rates in the game, in the order of 1 FPS or so, while the game eats full 100% of CPU time. Other 3D games seems to work slowly too, so not just ResidualVM problem. So it means I have something wrong with my ATI card drivers, the ATI card is just very slow or I have too slow CPU.

My system runs Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid with 5GB of RAM and it has the latest updates, and I have not changed any ATI drivers or settings from the default. The CPU is AMD Athlon64 3200+, seems to run at 2GHz. The ATI video card is Radeon X300SE PCI-E, lspci reports it being RV370. So do you have any idea what might be the bottleneck here?
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

hi,

maybe try to change the rendering method.

first, i would do this in ResidualVM global options.
just click "Options" and navigate to the Graphics tab (not sure, could be the MISC tab, too).

afiak you can set software rendering or gpu rendering (with AA). try to switch that option. set it to hardware rendering.

then do "edit Game" and check/uncheck "Override global settings" play with different settings.

If it┬┤s not working.... maybe one last idea (not sure, if it affect something, but anyway..):

start residual, launch grim and press F1 to access the ingame options.

go down to 3D Hardware Acceleration and turn that on or off
there is also another 3D- option below. try to adjust these settings, too.

hope you can get it running, your hardware should be able to do so. but 5GB RAM... sounds a bit strange to me...
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

None of those options actually work, you'll have to change them manually in your .ini-file.
jepael

Post by jepael »

Thanks, no wonder fiddling with the GUI settings did nothing.

Setting the soft_renderer=true boosted my FPS to around 30-40 in the windowed mode which looks very smooth.

Setting the fullscreen=true with soft renderer was playable regarding the FPS and render quality too, but some of the rendering artifacts were quite visible (perhaps from monitor scaling the 640x480 image to 1280x1024 panel resolution). So I like to play it in windowed mode for now.

Yes 5GB of memory, originally had 1GB, wanted to upgrade to 4GB, had sockets for all of it, end of story. 32-bit PAE-enabled Linux kernel can see all of it, it is just 32-bit Windows that won't utilize more than 4GB for compatibility reasons.

Well, since it works, I'll have to think about the slow hardware acceleration later. Thank you a lot!