Android and IOS ports

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

trev186

Android and IOS ports

Post by trev186 »

Hi,

I am looking forward to your work on my PC. I wanted to make a suggestion.

You should add the emulator port for GRIME/ResidualVM to the Android and IOS marketplace when it is complete. Point and click adventure games work great on these devices AND....

You can charge for the app like $1.00-$2.00 and make some spare change off of it.

Even if you do not like this idea I would beg you to port your work to Android so I can play Grim Fandango on my phone. It makes playing these old games so much more easy.

Instead of having to make time when you are home to play it on your PC you can now play while you wait for the bus etc.

Thanks for your time
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

Having Grim Fandango on Android would be great, and especially on the Xperia Play it would fantastic!

I do understand that this would not be an easy port, but anyways, here is a resource for mapping the keys to the Play: http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/developer ... game-keys/

Just notices that the game is now playable all the way through, really looking forward to trying it as soon as I find that CD wherever it may be... :)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Re: Android and IOS ports

Post by somaen »

trev186 wrote:Point and click adventure games
Neither Grim nor EMI is Point and Click, and thus require a bit extra work to make good controls for phones. (This is really make or break for such games, I've tried Wolfenstein 3D for iPhone, and that was OK, but not much more).
trev186 wrote:You can charge for the app like $1.00-$2.00 and make some spare change off of it.
Now, that's a BAAAAAAAD idea, LucasArts would surely not wait long before we had lawyers knocking on our doors.

Other than that, sure, not a bad idea, but first, let us get version that works 100% on the platforms we have now.
Last edited by xLoial on Thu May 26, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blunden

Post by blunden »

Yes, controls might need some figuring out. An Android port would be a dream come true. Just being able to play it without it locking up my main computer (don't know why, everything else runs flawlessly) is something I've been hoping for for a long time. Great work!

Thankfully the Android version of ScummVM allows me to play COMI which is great too. :)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

That would require:

* OpenGL ES-support in-engine (Currently we only use OpenGL 1.5)
* Someone that knows Android
* Quite a lot of optimization (Androids are quite slow compared to the modern desktop-computer, and ResidualVM is also quite slow right now, just check the cpu-usage).
blunden

Post by blunden »

somaen wrote:That would require:

* OpenGL ES-support in-engine (Currently we only use OpenGL 1.5)
* Someone that knows Android
* Quite a lot of optimization (Androids are quite slow compared to the modern desktop-computer, and ResidualVM is also quite slow right now, just check the cpu-usage).
Yes that is true of course. Since OpenGL ES 1.x and 2.x are subsets of the corresponding OpenGL versions as far as I know I guess it depends on if the features the engine uses are part of the ES subset too or not. Yes, for it to run smoothly I'm sure it would need quite a bit of optimization but thankfully the phones are getting faster and faster.

I was just dreaming of being able to play it in the future. :)
samuelk99

Post by samuelk99 »

Long time grim fan, first time poster.

No promises but I'm looking into this.

I love android dev and love grim, makes sense to give merging them a shot.
Scale

Post by Scale »

This guy made an SDL wrapper for android, He has already used it to support scummvm and quake etc

But this stuff goes way above my head maybe somebody else can take a look at it:

https://github.com/pelya/commandergenius
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

As for the other stuff, I've started to look at GLES-ifying the openGL-stuff for iPhone, but no promises at all.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

I'll allow myself to double post this one time:

Ok, I just pieced together a working iPhone-version from the ScummVM-port, it plays the introvideo without problems, and goes into Manny's office, only problem now, is sorting out some usefull controls. (And, handling what I guess will be a ton of issues with speed, but hey, get it working first).

So, a non-interactive port, that's basically it.
Azello

Post by Azello »

I don't think that LucasArts would send their lawyers anywhere, i mean there are already n64, playstation and other emulators being sold on android market, you don't upload their games. It's a great idea, I dream of being able to play Grim Fandango on my phone, will be checking regularly for any progress
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Well, there is also the entire discussion as to whether the Apple-rules are compatible with the GPL (see VLC).

On another note, In one way I'd be happy if there was a chance that their lawyers might rattle their sabres, because that would mean that LA cared about more than Star Wars again.
Azello

Post by Azello »

I think that the reason why Lucas arts released their remade versions of monkey island in the first place is because they saw that it was possible for people to play their games, on scummvm on their cell phones, and wanted to make some money of that.

I think that if it was possible to play grim fandango on android or ios, that lucas arts would just get a motivation boost to release a version of their own. And it shouldn't be impossible i mean check this link of someone playing it on a nokia n900 from 2009, now with 1,2ghz dual core processors and 1gig ram, and some programming and optimization this should run perfectly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOhmdMCJcY
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

It isn't impossible at all, I put together a working iPhone-version by patching a bit on the ScummVM-iPhone-port, the only thing that didn't really work at all, was the controls, which, since I was only interested in testing it for speed, I simply mapped to the keyboard, so going forward meant tapping y very fast. The Software-renderer did quite well, and I guess, with some work, that a GLES-renderer might do even better.

That said, let's wait till ResidualVM is out of alpha atleast.

Oh, and the reason they started all the remakes, was a CEO-change, they had an adventure-friendly CEO for about half a year or so, that's when Telltale got the TMI-license, and the two Special Editions.
blunden

Post by blunden »

somaen wrote:It isn't impossible at all, I put together a working iPhone-version by patching a bit on the ScummVM-iPhone-port, the only thing that didn't really work at all, was the controls, which, since I was only interested in testing it for speed, I simply mapped to the keyboard, so going forward meant tapping y very fast. The Software-renderer did quite well, and I guess, with some work, that a GLES-renderer might do even better.

That said, let's wait till ResidualVM is out of alpha atleast.

Oh, and the reason they started all the remakes, was a CEO-change, they had an adventure-friendly CEO for about half a year or so, that's when Telltale got the TMI-license, and the two Special Editions.
Your OpenGL ES porting of the rendering should benefit all mobile platforms, not just iOS. How far did you get?