Patchex binary?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JohnnyWalker2001

Patchex binary?

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Is there an executable version of Patchex anywhere for those of us without the means to compile it?

(I'm particularly interested in a Windows version, if possible. Thanks!)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Windows-users should be able to unpack the patch without patchex, either by using the patch directly, or if that fails, by using the Quick & Easy Grim Fandango-installer (which even downloads the patch for you).

If that fails as well, getting the means to compile isn't that hard (IIRC MingW can compile residual-tools, and costs nothing, there is also Visual Studio Express, which is also free). Although that approach is a bit more technical.

Mac and Linux-people (especially the latter) should have access to a compiler.

Do tell if you're having problems with the Q&E-approach
JohnnyWalker2001

I'm just working with ResidualVM, and so haven't bothered to run the game installer (I've just pulled all the files onto my HD).

I might run the Q+E Installer, though, because there's news that Windows 7 SP1 is more compatible with the game.

(The update .exe only runs if you've installed the game as it looks for registry keys.)
YakBizzarro

Post by YakBizzarro »

If you want to exctract patch files under windows without patchex, you can use a simply registy-hack.

Create a patch.reg file like this (the data enclosed by triple-quotes):
"""
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Grim Fandango\v1.0]
"Install Path"="C:\\YOUR\\GRIM\\PATH"
"MAGIC"=dword:00XX0000
"""

"Install Path" has to be a valid path and must have grim.tab and grimfandango.exe inside. They could be zero byte files, their content is not important.
"MAGIC" holds the language (first four hex digits) and current version of Grimfandango (last four hex digits). So you have to replace XX according to your language:
07 German
09 English
0A Spanish
0C French
10 Italian
(I don't know the code for Portuguese)

If the grim.tab is the real one, the MAGIC key could be omitted; the language will be chosen according to grim.tab.
GF 1.00 has version number 1010, 1.01 has 2774. So, if the version number is lower than 2774 the update can be performed; 0000 is the simpler choice.

Now import patch.reg in registry; if you launch the updater (gfupd101.exe) it will install updated files inside "Install Path".
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Would you mind if that goes into the wiki?
YakBizzarro

Post by YakBizzarro »

Absolutely not :)
JohnnyWalker2001

Superb post, thank you. Can I ask, what does the directory tree look like? Is there a GrimData folder, or is everything in the same directory as the .exe?
YakBizzarro

Post by YakBizzarro »

The last one, everything in the same directory. GrimDataDir key specifies the path to GrimData on cd.
JohnnyWalker2001

Just to add to this, am I right in saying that the contents of gfupd101.exe are four new files:

GrimFandango.exe
Patch05.bin
GRIM.TAB
DATA005.LAB

?

Thanks!
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Yes, although you only need the last 3 for ResidualVM