Able to Play through to Completion! Big Thanks.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Grimfan33

Able to Play through to Completion! Big Thanks.

Post by Grimfan33 »

First, let me say thanks to the team for this great software. I can say that I did a quick speed run testing Grim Fandango up to Year 2 on ResidualVM (to make sure the data copied to my hard drive from the Disc 2 would load) and it worked perfectly, it even ran with 3D Acceleration...something I couldn't do before.

Now for my question, I'm using Windows XP, any my question would be - is Grim Fandango fully completable through ResidualVM in full screen mode, given the game is fully copied to the hard drive, and how many of you have succeeded in doing so?

I went to the DEV compatibility page and it lists it as being 70% completed, and lists possible minor glitches. I didn't experience any in my test speed run up to year two, but are there any I should be aware of?

I went to the downloads page and downloaded the Win32 link, the latest update dated Oct. 31st.
I installed the full game to the hard drive using the Grim Fandango Setup installer at the Quick and Easy Software page, which also installed the patch.

Like I said, I tested it up to beginning of Year 2, and Year 2 loaded seamlessly and it all worked perfectly...so is it safe to say I should be able play the game to completion?

Has anyone completed the game fully through on ResidualVM on Windows XP...thanks for your answers....and thanks to the dev team for this great software that finally lets me experience this game again.
Last edited by polkablues on Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Well, currently we have a list of ~70 issues with ResidualVM, most of which are year 2 and on, but afaik the game was completable the last time I played through (on OS X though). To mention a few, some models don't draw right, lighting isn't complete, and the sound-system isn't 100% correct.

Beware though that as residual is under heavy development still, there might be regressions were stuff that worked fine might break from fixing something else, including older save games. BUT, if that happens, we usually can help you get were you were in the game (by simply using the "cheat codes" to jump there).

As for fullscreen, either it works, or it doesn't at all afaik, the issue with it is mainly that it doesn't work entirely right (i.e. for me it streches the game to 16:10).
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

What sort of graphics adapter do you have? If it's Nvidia I may have an answer for you. If not, I'd be useless.

Also, a little while ago I saw that antialiasing support was added to ResidualVM and a request to update the readme. Since that hasn't happened yet, I wonder what the config file entry should be to enable that (assuming that's what it would take, and assuming that in-game antialising actually works already now).
Grimfan33

Post by Grimfan33 »

MeddlingMonk wrote:What sort of graphics adapter do you have? If it's Nvidia I may have an answer for you. If not, I'd be useless.
The desktop I'm playing Grim Fandango on has an Nvidia 7800GT, running Windows XP Home Edition, using a 4:3 monitor...it's an over a 5-year old machine, a Dell XPS Gen 5 to be exact. I keep it specifically for older games and programs, mainly Windows XP era releases. Any game or program released between 2000 - 2005 has run ideally on it so far.

Unfortunately Grim Fandango is a bit older then that range and before ResidualVM when I would try to play the game, it would crash, especially with Hardware Acceleration enabled...but, like I said, it ran flawlessly in the speed test I ran, hardware acceleration and all, no problems (at least none that I noticed)....but then again, like I said, I only tested it up to the beginning of Year Two...specifically when Manny chases after Meche on the boat and falls in the water and ends up on the dock.

I'd certainly appreciate any input you have on what your experience has been, especially if you completed it on a Windows machine with an Nvidia Graphics Card and Windows XP.

somaen wrote: Beware though that as residual is under heavy development still, there might be regressions were stuff that worked fine might break from fixing something else, including older save games. BUT, if that happens, we usually can help you get were you were in the game (by simply using the "cheat codes" to jump there).

As for fullscreen, either it works, or it doesn't at all afaik, the issue with it is mainly that it doesn't work entirely right (i.e. for me it streches the game to 16:10).
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm have an older 4:3 monitor connected to my Desktop PC, so the Fullscreen display correctly.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

The anti-aliasing is set with antialiasing=[samples]

as defined here:

https://github.com/residualvm/residualvm/pull/388/files

Pull request was dropped because it wasnt complete enough in the description.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Thanks, somaen. I tried to find the info myself but I don't really know my way around github very well.

Grimfan33, sorry for the confusion, but I when I asked about graphic adapters, I was intending that in response to somaen's aspect-ratio problem.
Grimfan33

Post by Grimfan33 »

I completed Grim Fandango on ResidualVM this evening. :D

Now that I have completed the game with ResidualVM, I wanted to edit and add to this thread by saying thanks to the team working on this great software that allowed me to finally fully experience one of my favorite games again after many years.

I gotta say, for a program that's said to essentially still be in alpha, it was surprising how great it worked in allowing me to experience the game to completion with only minor issues, in which most issues I encountered I was able to find a way around to progress forward.

Keep up the great work guys...I tried to contribute when I could to the bug reports page, hopefully it helps the continued effort on this great program.