Grim Fandango Deluxe - Original Thread [Locked]

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Excellent. Thanks very much!
JohnnyWalker2001

Just incase anyone is wondering where we're up to: We really need some sort of automated way of extracting the textures (and possibly the backgrounds -- as some folks have shown interest there). The current method we've got will take far too long :(

If that's not possible, then I guess the next step might be just to try and focus on the most "ugly" looking items in the game.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Could you be a tad more precise?

(Sorry if I missed something, but what is the "current method"?)
JohnnyWalker2001

somaen wrote:Could you be a tad more precise?

(Sorry if I missed something, but what is the "current method"?)
Here you go:
http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=1078#1078

As you can see, it's a very slow process indeed.

As cpl said, it would be best to have all the files extracted and laid out as they are used in the game...
cplhenshaw wrote:I suppose what would be better for this project would be if they were organised properly. For example, for each 3do file a folder is made and this contains the .3do file, any .mat files it uses and any .cmp files associated with that .3do (based on the .cos files)
If I had a folder with all of the extracted .MATs I could put it up and people could get going creating hi-res versions of each of them (including me). Also, some people have been in touch asking for backgrounds in order to make them widescreen.

Given LucasArts is not getting upset with this site, http://neurotech.imgur.com/ and lots of other sites sharing the audio from the games, I can assume they won't be too concerned if we're sharing backgrounds/textures either.
cplhenshaw

Post by cplhenshaw »

I was thinking about a tool that would extract the files related to each .3do into it's own folder but I didn't get too far and haven't been able to spend any time on it recently.

Did you give any more thought to making a database containing all the info? We could pretty easily come up with a list of the .mat's and .cmp's that belong with each .3do which would at least speed up the searching part.
JohnnyWalker2001

Yep, it would just take ages in its own right... Lol. But I suppose if that's our only option. Should I ignore costumes, then? Just focus on the .3do to .mat relationships, do people think? (I don't want to have to do this twice!)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

costumes are the safe way to approach this.
JohnnyWalker2001

Ok then, I guess that's where I'll begin.
ale

Post by ale »

this is really nice, KEEP ON DOING THIS
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:Ok then, I guess that's where I'll begin.
What do you need specifically?
mogul

Post by mogul »

ultraneonoirantihero wrote: Also, how are we gonna distribute those updated textures? Zip, extract, replace and repack back the lab files?

I asked earlier if someone could make ResidualVM detect additional lab (zip?) files and automatically load new textures from those "standalone updates"? Easier then: backup, extract, unpack, replace and repack.
That's how the original game behaves. The .lab file in the game's official patch simply provides a fixed version of the problem assets. The game stacks the .lab files on top of each other, and requests for assets only go as deep as they need to before the asset is found. More info here:
http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=1178#1178
Jackyboy

Post by Jackyboy »

I was literally thinking about recreating GF the other day, although I was thinking of doing a full port into the Unreal Engine. But I didn't have any idea how to do the scripting etc so was put off.

But I want to offer my services/help with this project. I am proficient in modelling with Maya as well as rendering with Vray/Mental ray. So if you would like me to start on anything or let me know where you are with the modelling I would be happy to help.

I have done stuff with in game models with texture/uv maps as well as offline rendered stuff (like the backgrounds). PM me if anyone would like my email to discuss further?
JohnnyWalker2001

Jackyboy wrote:I was literally thinking about recreating GF the other day, although I was thinking of doing a full port into the Unreal Engine. But I didn't have any idea how to do the scripting etc so was put off.

But I want to offer my services/help with this project. I am proficient in modelling with Maya as well as rendering with Vray/Mental ray. So if you would like me to start on anything or let me know where you are with the modelling I would be happy to help.

I have done stuff with in game models with texture/uv maps as well as offline rendered stuff (like the backgrounds). PM me if anyone would like my email to discuss further?
Great stuff! If you feel like having at go with Manny, give it a shot:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?i5vkh7jd4axpv08
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Original message removed.
Please, no need to propagate spam
Jackyboy

Post by Jackyboy »

I can have a go with Manny, but I would be more comfortable with doing props, environments etc. also how would you want Manny upgrading? His shape is so iconic I wouldn't know where to start! But I will have a look at the model tonight and see what I can do.

Might try to model one of the backgrounds, this way they could be rendered out at what ever background size we needed.