Grim Fandango Deluxe - Original Thread [Locked]

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Interesting stuff, guys. I didn't realise we had these constraints, but I'd still be interested to see what you can do with those groups, thnom. Manny's arms are square at the moment, and his fingers are just crosses.

Compare with how the fingers look in the videos and ingame:

http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.com/ ... u-now.html

That's definitely a nice improvement.

Of course, I'd be interested to see what you'd like to do if you had no constraints at all... I bet it would be pretty awesome to see Manny in "today's" graphics.
thnom

Post by thnom »

Kewl, I'll keep plugging away with this Manny, see what I can do. Still not happy with the head, gonna simplify it a bit..
JohnnyWalker2001

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)
JohnnyWalker2001

Nemiant wrote:Well, hello. I come from the LucasForums (the nick is N3mo). Do you need any help for the textures or (2D) graphics in general?
Hey, Nemiant. Apologies for not responding to your message.. I somehow missed it. I would LOVE help with the textures.

You can grab a small sample of Manny here:
http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/grim/MannyTextures.zip

It includes his suit and face, which I've already taken a stab at, so you may wish to skip those. If, however, you want to give them a go yourself to see what you come up with, please go for it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Resize each texture so it is FOUR TIMES the original size. So if it's 64x64, please resize it to 256x256. If it's 128x128, please resize it to 512x512, etc.

You can see my attempt here:
http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.com/ ... angos.html

Manny's various facial expressions still need to be done.

Thanks!
Last edited by nuphonic on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nemiant

Post by Nemiant »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:
Nemiant wrote:Well, hello. I come from the LucasForums (the nick is N3mo). Do you need any help for the textures or (2D) graphics in general?
Hey, Nemiant. Apologies for not responding to your message.. I somehow missed it. I would LOVE help with the textures.

You can grab a small sample of Manny here:
http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/grim/MannyTextures.zip

It includes his suit and face, which I've already taken a stab at, so you may wish to skip those. If, however, you want to give them a go yourself to see what you come up with, please go for it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Resize each texture so it is FOUR TIMES the original size. So if it's 64x64, please resize it to 256x256. If it's 128x128, please resize it to 512x512, etc.

You can see my attempt here:
http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.com/ ... angos.html

Manny's various expressions still need to be done.

Thanks!
No problem! I'll give it a try :)
One question: when I re-convert them in Indexed colors, should I put the transparency on?
JohnnyWalker2001

Don't worry about saving them with Index colours, I'll take care of that. Use a full palette, and leave the rest up to me. We'll hopefully be able to include 24-bit colours on textures in the future, and for the indexed versions you need to import a special palette file into Photoshop.

Manny's facial expressions are the main thing that need doing at the moment.
Last edited by nuphonic on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote: We'll hopefully be able to include 16-bit colours on textures in the future.
Thats 24 bit, as that is what EMI uses. But no promises as to when as usual.
Nemiant

Post by Nemiant »

Hello again. Here's my try:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ztklqbztebkrtar

I left out the ones regarding manny's head, manny's suit, and the suit's pattern because they are alreay done, but if it's necessary to be redone, just tell me.
I hope that there will be no problems with the connections between the head texture and the mouth textures I did (I talking about the eyes).
JohnnyWalker2001

Fantastic! Let me sort this out and I'll make a hires version of Manny that (in theory) we can all use!
Jon N/A

Post by Jon N/A »

A little "update" on the background re-modeling and re-rendering sub-project.

So, PixieFrog from the amazing Grim Fandango Stop-Motion Project has generously shared his 3d models of Manny's Office gadgets/equipments and decorations :D

I was so excited to be able to rotate around Manny's "computer" that I decided to give a quick render of it.
Here it is!
I didn't [img] code it since it's too big for that.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12807847/Never% ... onsole.jpg

Of course, It need lot's of changes. It needs Material refinements, More polygons, Seting up lights, Better textures. But I was so excited I couldn'd resist not posting it!
JohnnyWalker2001

Wow, that's a really nifty little project. I love Celso's skull!

Just an update from me, too: I can't seem to figure out how to make a .MAT file with several different .BMPs in it... which means Manny's face just has one expression on it.

I wonder if they never utilized this feature with Jedi Knight, and so never built any tools that could do it? :-/

(I'm away from my computer for the holidays at the moment, so forgive me if I've got some of terminology mixed up.)

Happy New Year, everyone!
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

I'm looking into adding support for EMI's textures at the moment. EMI simply has a .SUR-file that lists TGAs for each of the differing textures (instead of the more-in-one-file approach of Grim). It might be worth looking into making the load-check of materials only worry about file-name, instead of whether it's Grim or EMI perhaps, so that you guys can utilize .sur's. (Although, I'll have to double check that this wouldn't lose anything important for Grim, the original always takes precedence :) )

Otherwise, well, should be possible to cook together a tool for merging together .mats.

As a sidenote, YakBizarro has been working on a patch-engine for ResidualVM, which allows for for instance modifying .cos-files without distributing them in their entirety. (Only the diffs). Further information on that can be found here: https://github.com/residualvm/residualvm/pull/449
JohnnyWalker2001

All great stuff to hear! Let me know how the .SUR thing goes.
mrwonko

Post by mrwonko »

Attention: Wall of text incoming!
tl;dr: I think all the problems listed in this thread can be overcome, but it'll be quite some work.

I just had a look at this project, it got mentioned by Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Looks interesting! Too bad I still don't have Grim Fandango, here's hoping it'll be on gog.com soon. Well, I'm downloading the demo, that'll do for the time being.

Anyway, back to topic:

From what I understand, these are your problems:
  • Upping the resolution, making it widescreen
  • You need an easy way to edit the models
  • The indexed 8 bit textures limit you greatly
In more detail and with my comments:

Resolution/Widescreen
The backgrounds are rendered images in 640*480 with depth being added through an additional (16-bit?) depth buffer. Coordinates are absolute in that 640*480 space.

A skilled photoshopper should have little problem creating higher res widescreen backgrounds - well, it's some work, but it's possible.

Redistribution may be a problem though. New images based on the originals cannot be distributed for copyright reasons. I suppose we could go for binary differences, simply XORing the original with the new file.

Wide-screen addition textures like they were used in that video wouldn't be a problem though, but they'd leave the resolution untouched...

Depth buffers need to get increased resolution as well. That'd probably be easier through 3D modelling than by editing the image - taking a plane, deforming it using the depth buffer, possibly texturing it with the original (or better yet, the redone) texture, then smoothing/sharpening it as required to recreate the original scene in higher resolution. Finally rendering the Z-Buffer back out. While this also requires work, it probably requires considerably less skill - I think even I could do that, given enough time, and I suck at art.

What about the technical implementation? The actual gameplay could be kept in 4:3 so no changes are required. Just making it display bigger images in the same space shouldn't be that difficult.

Editing the Models
From what I gather, the model format is (mostly) known - so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to write Blender im- and exporters. Again, we have the redistribution problem.

8 Bit Textures
It shouldn't be that hard to add support for "ordinary" images (jpg, png).

Elaborating on the copyright issue: I'd personally do that in realtime when loading the assets. Patching during installation would probably take pretty long and be irreversible while realtime patching would only slightly increase loading times.

In the end it all comes down to a lot of coding and content creation, as always. But it's certainly possible - ResidualVM is open source, after all.

I may take a closer look at this once I'm done with my exams (i.e. in February) and some other projects (i.e. whenever I get my lazy ass up after the exams)
thnom wrote:I wish I could tell thee. I literally haven't modelled for the last 18-24 month. Just got 2012, the latest version.

Blender may display it, but its a POS to use.. :)
Blender has changed in the last 18-24 months - have you seen 2.5 yet? The UI improved a lot. I personally love Blender. :D

So long,
Willi "Mr. Wonko" S.

P.S.: Feel free to contact me at spam@mrwonko.de
P.P.S.: It seems the server fails to send notification mails (or any mails, actually) - that might be fatal since I could miss answers to this thread.
P.P.P.S.: Apparently the same is true for you, though.
Shinrai

Post by Shinrai »

I would love to help with the textures, if help is still needed!
Tell me what you need and how I get the resources to work on, in the meanwhile I will try and enhance the posted samples as well, as it is the only basis I can find up to now :)