Grim Fandango Deluxe - Original Thread [Locked]

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

giucam

Post by giucam »

The most heavy set is probably the blue casket (bi), with more than 10 actors.
Anyway, the renderer isn't the most performant one we could have. I guess that switching to glDrawElements instead of glBegin/glEnd would speed it up quite a bit.
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

Did some more Testing with the Manny Model. It has about 1k faces. All quads (The original is a mix of quads and tris). Arms and legs are still original, so a final model would count maybe 2k quads (4k tris).

I have added the file, so you can take a look at the model. :: .blend :: .obj :: .mtl

I didn't know, which options i have to check at the export menu. These are the standard settings in blender.

Btw. Ive watched some game-scenes and while speaking, mannys jaw moves downwards sometimes. I think there must be one or more additional head-models for the different face expressions.
giucam

Post by giucam »

Blacksad wrote:Btw. Ive watched some game-scenes and while speaking, mannys jaw moves downwards sometimes. I think there must be one or more additional head-models for the different face expressions.
Yes, Manny has two head meshes.
cplhenshaw

Post by cplhenshaw »

Thats a good point about multiple character models. I suppose we'll need to carefully consider how much we improve certain characters. For example most of the characters in the Blue Casket dont move very much, occupy a small area of the screen and are wearing black in a darkish room so theres not really much need to update them to the same extent as Manny and other more prominent characters.

Blacksad, for Blender you just have to remember to tick "Include Normals" each time you export, the rest can be left as defaults. Heres what your model looks like in game:

It's a bit hard to see from the picture but the head looks nice and round, and the 3D fingers are good too :)

I found an error in my code which was giving the previously splotchy looking normals, so updated models have smoother lighting now, but there is still some obvious lighting differences so I'll need to do a bit more work.

And thanks to the magic Residual hot patching system (which I hadn't tried before now) you can try it out in game by putting this with your other DATA files. DATA006.lab
ultraneonoirantihero

Post by ultraneonoirantihero »

Great work, I just tried it myself. The round fingers are excellent :)

But I can't remember: is there any way to turn ON the anti-aliasing in Residual?
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

cplhenshaw wrote:Blacksad, for Blender you just have to remember to tick "Include Normals" each time you export, the rest can be left as defaults.
OK. Checked :)
cplhenshaw wrote:It's a bit hard to see from the picture but the head looks nice and round, and the 3D fingers are good too :)
Yeah, looks nice. Only if manny is close to the camera, you can see shading artifacts, because of converting quads to tris... Maybe one of the professionals here knows how to fix this. (Compared to the body, it looks like, the game engine has more trouble with smaller faces)
cplhenshaw wrote:And thanks to the magic Residual hot patching system (which I hadn't tried before now) you can try it out in game by putting this with your other DATA files.
Wow. Cool feature. This makes the whole updating process to improofed models really easy. I was afraid that i have to update my german localized data files for my own :D
Last edited by adiro69 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cplhenshaw

Post by cplhenshaw »

Did a quick google:
Add to your Residual ResidualVM config file the line antialiasing=$samples, with $samples equal to 0 (that is, no antialiasing), 2, 4, or whatever your graphics card supports, and enjoy the improved and smooth graphics!
From http://lostsoulsalliance.wordpress.com/ ... pments-ii/
giucam

Post by giucam »

Wow, good work! I really like the head model, nice and smooth.
But, there's something wrong: Manny has a different face. I cannot say for sure what is it, but it isn't Manny's face, the expression is different.
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

HA!

Before:

After:

Ok. Still not 100% ^^
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Looking good!
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

Well. I think I've done enough experimenting. I have a good idea of how much detail we need for the new models.

Can you tell me how to get the models out of the .lab files? I have no idea how to do this.

Maybe this is important. I'm working on a Mac and my .lab files are from the german version. These @&/%$§ oversized things. And I'm not sure if the lab-copy tool worked correctly, cause my residual version crashes very early in the game, so i can't even test, if all works correct.
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

Oh, nice. Thanks. Will try it tomorrow.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

? What tools is it that you feel you require, Blacksad?

You can download an OBJ version of Manny from here:
http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.com/ ... llers.html

Once you're done, just upload the OBJ version.

You can open and create .LAB files with this tool, if you need to:
http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software/reso ... and-dumper
Blacksad

Post by Blacksad »

Earlier I've said that i don't want to finish the manny model, but after my testings it was half the way finished, so i continued :D

Here is the final model.

Image Image Image Image

Take a look at the model. Maybe there are a few adjustments i should do.
.blend :: .obj

At this stage Manny has 1378 quads (2756 tris), so maybe there is still room to increase poly count.

@johnny walker
Thanks for the link. Ive tried to extract a .3do file. Worked fine, but how did you get the manny-model from that 3do into an obj-file?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Just wanted to say that that model looks pretty fantastic. Maybe decrease the lighted spots on the suit a little bit though... it looks like Manny is covered in oil or something :P.