Grim Fandango Deluxe - Original Thread [Locked]

Discussions regarding the development of the mod "Grim Fandango Deluxe"

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Either that or Glottis, but that I think Glottis would prove to be quite the challenge, he has 5 heads, not including the one in the main model! Every one of them needs to be re-modeled, or at least a modified version from the main one. I think some more feedback would be in order before continuing, it's a lot of work.

P.S.: To whom it may concern (and by this I mean JonnyWalker2001, somaen, and the other active members on this thread :) )

There are two other heads that Manny uses (manny_head2.3do and manny_head3.3do), and the second one appeared to be corrupted, or at least the exporter tool doesn't export it correctly (ALL texture coordiantes are at U:0, V:0). I had to import the manny_head3.3do, modify it, and then update on top of the third one (because the mesh names do not correspond with the second one, and the second one has corrupted UV's), but I use it as the second one. That's why the meshes in the updated manny_head2.3do in the new datausr.lab will bear the same name as the ones in manny_head3.3do . It was either that, or update the UV's and that would have been too much work compared to the previous method.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Nitrus wrote:I think some more feedback would be in order before continuing, it's a lot of work.
feedback

FEEDBACK

feedBACK

FEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedback

/dark eerie voice on

Feeeeeeeeeeeebaaaaaaaaaaaaack

/dark eerie voice off

:-D

Seriously, please keep on doing...this is awesome.
"HD" version of one of the best adventures ever made...how cool is that? :-)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

That looks incredible!
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

Raziel wrote:
Nitrus wrote:I think some more feedback would be in order before continuing, it's a lot of work.
feedback

FEEDBACK

feedBACK

FEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedback
A little bit of feedback. :)

And I agree with Raziel and Longcat. It works well and looks amazing. :)
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

JOYEEEEEE!!!!

Well done, Nitrus!!!
JohnnyWalker2001

I've updated the official blog. Well done Nitrus! Just amazing!
Jon N/A

Post by Jon N/A »

Joy indeed!
Great job Nite!

Ahem though I think the jaw looks kinda weird...
Huh? What? Who said that?

:D But seriously, it does. I don't know... Maybe it goes down too much, or maybe the "mouth" should move down with it as well...

I think we need a proper website now, with a wiki and a forum if possible. This thread is too long to go through and we need a detailed document to guide the newcomers...
Maybe we could get a subdomain on grimfandango.net...
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

He's got three different heads for that suit, and two of them have different heights. Maybe it goes too far, because I modified that by feel :D. I realized there would be kinks that would need ironing out, so please continue finding flaws, so we can make it look even better.
On the other hand, I don't know if with the original the mouth moves (I don't think so), but if it does, it would be lower in the textures, and it isn't, I redrew them myself (except for the first one). I also noticed that his shoes look kinda weird, and the materials needed for the shoes in the datausr.lab I downloaded were not there, so the shoes use the original mats. Either the author of the model (Blacksad) meant it to be that way, or he/she made them a single color or used the dflt material, in which case I need to fix that in this version :D. It's my fault for not checking on that first!
Jon N/A wrote:I think we need a proper website now, with a wiki and a forum if possible.
Not a bad idea, although I don't know if _I_ would have the time to keep something like that organized. But that depends on the size of this community... I'm sure someone else would be up to it.

...And frankly doing all the 3D by myself would be a bit too much for me, since that's like coming home, and continuing where I left off with the work I'm doing ATM IRL. I'd love it if Blacksad continued with his/her work on this, since he/she did a wonderful job with Manny. Somebody contact him/her please! :)

It'd be great if cplhenshaw comes in too, because I think there's a small flaw with the converters, and I wonder if he/she'd like to help us out again.

EDIT: @JohnnyWalker2001 I read the article on the official blog, and I must say, first year Manny is not done yet :D
There's that part in the Petrified Forest, where he's dressed all revolutionary, that costume (along with it's head, for the expressions) needs to be redone as well....
There are also parts with another model, which is/are booted in parts like when Manny climbs the rope to Don's office, and where he smokes a cigarette I think (although these could be videos, I haven't confirmed it yet). Also, the Grim Reaper costume would show a blank facial expression because it's UV's are not upscaled. Not to mention that all of these models, have textures (except for the heads, they're already done) that need to be redrawn.

As I said there's a lot of work, but nothing is unmanageable anymore :D

UPDATE: The part when he climbs the rope was a model: ma_climb_suit.3do, not a video. I fixed it and uploaded it to Dropbox, that's the good thing about Dropbox, the link stays the same.
Here it is again!

Also, here's a save if you want to test it, it goes in:
C:\Users\Username_here\AppData\Roaming\ResidualVM\Saved Games\
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Ahahahahahahhahaha, hahahahahahahahhaha...........
hahahahahahahhahahahahaah....... Can't...Stop...Laughing!

I fixed cplhenshaw's converter, and it seems there was nothing wrong with his code (it's quite ingenious in fact), but with how the files were packed back in the day... Lucky for me it was written in C, so I could understand what was happening...

Anyways, here are the compiled programs with minor modifications:
Get them from here.

@somaen and @cplhenshaw:
I got cplhenshaw's source from here, and I thumbed through it. I realized that the data that was being read from the *.3do's was OK, but when it was written to an *.obj, it got corrupted. It returned inf(infinite) or NaN values for the texture coordinates.
One thing was happening in between that piqued my interest: the coordinates were being scaled. The culprit can be found in: matScaler.c

This was done by reading the material (MAT) names associated with the model (all the mat names are kept in matNames.h), and cross-referencing them with their sizes which are kept in matSize.h.

Now, I had trouble with the manny_head2.3do model (It's UV's were all inf or NaN), so I opened it and tried to compare it to manny_head3.3do, going through the header and file structure (at first I thought there were different types of 3dos). And that's when I noticed it:
Somewhere at the beginning of the 3do's header the MAT names are kept, and I compared the MAT's names' from the two different models:

manny_head2.3do said: m_eye.MAT
manny_head3.3do said: m_eye.mat

And then it hit me, I looked real quick in the matNames.h file, and sure enough, all filenames were written in LOWERCASE! So when the program tried to find a suitable MAT file for the 3do (for example m_eye.MAT), it couldn't find one xD.

Then it was a simple job of converting all string being read to lowercase, and the program worked like magic :D
JohnnyWalker2001

This is great stuff. I can't wait until I have some free time!
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Anybody up for some texturing and/or modeling?

So far I've got the Grim Reaper costume's upper body modeled (the skirt is a different model, and there's one for every movement Manny makes in it, similar with the heads), and I've got revolutionary Manny's chest texture done.

Image        Image

Not a great job on the creases, but I don't know how else would I do them, especially after the palette cuts down on the colors.

UPDATE: Did the texture of the skirt too. :lol:
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Nice!
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Nitrus wrote:Anybody up for some texturing and/or modeling?

I need help! :D
iceberg

Post by iceberg »

Not only does this project need a dedicated sub-forum, you need a Twitter account to push out notices, updates, and requests for assistance.

Most people probably found out about this project through Ron Gilbert who tweeted about it around 2 months ago. It's how I learned about it anyway.

If you can get him to tweet or retweet about this project, and have it linked to http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.com or this forum, you will have a better shot of getting assistance.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

Ron Gilbert tweeted about this!?!?! :o :o
I'm a great fan of his!borderline stalker
My fault for not using Twitter... I found it by doing a Google search.

By the way, that's a great idea. I'll wait for further input from JohnnyWalker2001, the guy with the original initiative (and owner of the aforementioned site). :)