Android and IOS ports

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

With GLES? I basically didn't even start that. I did some work to see what the incompatibilities were, looking at that, I'd say it would be a bit of work, but not enormously so.

But, like I said before, for now we're working on getting a release together, GLES would be a new feature, and is thus not part of the 0.1.0-plans, but maybe down the line, when we have a fully working version for desktops.
anto135

Post by anto135 »

Just to add to the keymapping being an issue on most newer touch android tabs you can change the keyboard and there is an app called gamepad im currently using. It has a d pad and 4 buttons, it maps keys to whatever letter or key you want, i was using it with splashtop desktop viewer streaming games on my galaxy s2 and it works quite well, i was actually streaming grimfandango with it but id rather have it directly on my phone. This specific keyboard gamepad works well as when i tried other keyboards or that gamekeyboard it doesn't register when you hold the key in, it just moves about an inch at a time, with this it moves continuasly as a normal keyboard.
Anyway i don't know if it helps but its there for future reference if you need it, i'd love to see grimfandango running directly from my phone.
trev186

Post by trev186 »

Hi

So I created this topic awhile back...

Anyone willing to work this port to Android ? I believe our modern Android devices would run residuavm just fine

If you need funding im sure a kickstarter would work fine.
mammoth5000

Post by mammoth5000 »

trev186 wrote:Hi

So I created this topic awhile back...

Anyone willing to work this port to Android ? I believe our modern Android devices would run residuavm just fine

If you need funding im sure a kickstarter would work fine.
Although not Android,

It's been unofficially ported to the Pandora (which uses ARM) for about a year now

latest build for it is here:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detai ... idualvm.ld

it runs well on the device.
trev186

Post by trev186 »

I found this looks like someone started a android version

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... HdKGA4idzA

Thanks for the news on the pandora version. Ill talk to Paul Lamb see if he can port it to Android
Gillou68310

Post by Gillou68310 »

Hi, actually residualVM is already ported to android, I managed to build it from the latest source!

For now there is no built-in virtual gamepad to control the game, but I made a small modification to the code to allow using the "GameKeyboard" app from the market and it's working quite good.

The biggest issue so far is the in-game performance which is quite slow depending on the scene (goes from 8 to 40 fps on my galaxy s3). This is due to the software rendering which is very CPU intensive even on high end computers!
A good solution would be to use the opengl rendering but this not possible because opengl is not compatible with android (or iphone) phones, someone needs to port the actual opengl plugin to opengles in order to use it on our phones.

In the meantime I tried disabling the shadows but this only gave me a 3 or 4fps boost.

If someone want to test it here's the link to the apk:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27654797/residualvm.apk
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27654797/residu ... e-grim.apk

And here's the link to gamekeyboard:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... JvYXJkIl0.

My button mappings on gamekeyboard:

A : E (Examine)
B : Enter (Use/Talk)
X : P (Pickup)
Y : Left-Shift (Run)
Start : I (Inventory)

There's an option to call up the keyboard by pressing Vol+ (save lives ;-) )

A little screenshot:

Don't look for the skin I'm using in gamekeyboard cause I modded the app :D

Gilles.
trev186

Post by trev186 »

Gillou68310 wrote:Hi, actually residualVM is already ported to android, I managed to build it from the latest source!

For now there is no built-in virtual gamepad to control the game, but I made a small modification to the code to allow using the "GameKeyboard" app from the market and it's working quite good.

The biggest issue so far is the in-game performance which is quite slow depending on the scene (goes from 8 to 40 fps on my galaxy s3). This is due to the software rendering which is very CPU intensive even on high end computers!
A good solution would be to use the opengl rendering but this not possible because opengl is not compatible with android (or iphone) phones, someone needs to port the actual opengl plugin to opengles in order to use it on our phones.

In the meantime I tried disabling the shadows but this only gave me a 3 or 4fps boost.

If someone want to test it here's the link to the apk:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27654797/residualvm.apk
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27654797/residu ... e-grim.apk

And here's the link to gamekeyboard:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... JvYXJkIl0.

My button mappings on gamekeyboard:

A : E (Examine)
B : Enter (Use/Talk)
X : P (Pickup)
Y : Left-Shift (Run)
Start : I (Inventory)

There's an option to call up the keyboard by pressing Vol+ (save lives ;-) )

A little screenshot:

Don't look for the skin I'm using in gamekeyboard cause I modded the app :D

Gilles.
Awesome!

I sent this over to Lubomyr and paul lamb. Lubomyr has a really great Scummvm app and Paul is the author of mupen 64 ae plus.

Hoping they can figure out how to add controls and how to improve the speed.

Since there is a working Pandora version there could definitely be a full speed Android version. !

Do u mind posting the actual source u used ?
Gillou68310

Post by Gillou68310 »

This is funny I send a fix for zelda MM on mupen64ae to paul lamb last week! This is a small world :-)

I will post the source code I'm using tomorrow cause it's actually late in france.

But has said previously I'm using the latest source code from github, I've only done a minor modifications!

We have to find someone to port the opengl plugin to opengles this will surely give a good fps boost!

What is the actual speed of the pandora port?
mammoth5000

Post by mammoth5000 »

To keep results the same I load the game in manny's office

At stock 600 MHz it is around 12.2fps
overclocked to 800 MHz it is around: 16 fps
overclocked to 900 MHz it is around: 18 fps
overclocked to 1000 MHz it is around: 20 fps

so every 100MHz I get a 2 fps increase.

In a random room.. in year 3 I get 28-30fps at 600MHz.

oh and videos are fullspeed ~60fps

But all in all the game is very playable at stock speed.

video of the first port a year ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqYcaF55C4

of course I also have the orginal model Pandora... not the new 1GHz model which can overclock up to about 1.2GHz.
trev186

Post by trev186 »

mammoth5000 wrote:To keep results the same I load the game in manny's office

of course I also have the orginal model Pandora... not the new 1GHz model which can overclock up to about 1.2GHz.
I am thinking the speed on Android/Pandora is less about the hardware and more about the need for a Dynarec or Open GL.

Getting a working Dynarec (assuming there isnt one already in the source) may be easier than getting an open Gl port.

Hoping Paul and maybe Ari64 can sort this out

Lubomyr is less well known but Scummvm and SDL are his forte so perhaps he can get this going as well
Gillou68310

Post by Gillou68310 »

Thank you for posting your result, it seems that the pandora and android port are really close in term of performance.

I also get around 20fps in manny's office with 1.4Ghz.
But in the hall outside manny's office I get 10fps, which is less noticable in the video, there's probably a difference between the two codes that can explain this issue as the guy in the video is using a one year old build.

Are you using the latest build from the pandora port for your result?
mammoth5000

Post by mammoth5000 »

Gillou68310 wrote:

Thank you for posting your result, it seems that the pandora and android port are really close in term of performance.

But in the hall outside manny's office I get 10fps, which is less noticable in the video, there's probably a difference between the two codes that can explain this issue as the guy in the video is using a one year old build.

Yes I was using the latest Pandora build. There aren't any modifications to the Pandora port code. As the Pandora has a keyboard it doesn't require any mapping.

I don't have my Pandora with me right now but outside Manny's office it's not overly noticeable that it's not a high frame rate... it looks pretty much the same as that video.

What is really required as has been said before is for someone to volunteer there time to add opengles (for grimE engine AND for the Myst III engine(although I think SDL renderer would work fine... most of time it's just still images)
trev186

Post by trev186 »

mammoth5000 wrote:
Gillou68310 wrote:

Yes I was using the latest Pandora build. There aren't any modifications to the Pandora port code. As the Pandora has a keyboard it doesn't require any mapping.

I don't have my Pandora with me right now but outside Manny's office it's not overly noticeable that it's not a high frame rate... it looks pretty much the same as that video.

What is really required as has been said before is for someone to volunteer there time to add opengles (for grimE engine AND for the Myst III engine(although I think SDL renderer would work fine... most of time it's just still images)
If all it needs is an SDL rendered then hopefully I can get.Lubomyr to do it. All he does is SDL ! Him or pelya

Here is lubomyr's site

anddev.at.ua

Please contact him and beg him along with me ;) He tried an Android port once before of residualvm but that was before the project was really up to snuff
mammoth5000

Post by mammoth5000 »

Yes, Myst III currently only has an OpenGL renderer in ResidualVM. It has no software renderer.

I'm not sure if there is any WIP code on that.

Even if it was added in a months time.. the game is only about 25% playable... but at least I could play some of it.
trev186

Post by trev186 »

mammoth5000 wrote:Yes, Myst III currently only has an OpenGL renderer in ResidualVM. It has no software renderer.

I'm not sure if there is any WIP code on that.

Even if it was added in a months time.. the game is only about 25% playable... but at least I could play some of it.
More concerned with Grim Fandango than myst 3 ;)